Why you should wear a chronograph to prom

Prom is one of the most important days of a high school student’s life. It’s the dance that almost every student has been looking forward to since the beginning of their freshman year. Hair, makeup and nail appointments are set up months in advance, the entire first half of the year is spent trying to find a date, and girls go out of their way to pick out a dress that no one else in the school has. Hundreds of dollars are spent on trying to make prom perfect, but a critical element of most students’ prom attire is almost always forgotten – a chronograph.

To non-runners, a chronograph is merely a watch used to time and split workouts, but to runners, a chronograph is much more than that. Ask any runner and they’ll tell you that other than their legs and trainers, their chronographs are one of their most prized possessions.

Photo courtesy of Abby Moriarty
Sophomores (from left to right), Emma Kern, Lydia Hickey, Abby Moriarty and Maggie Clink show off their chronographs, which they have accessorized with bracelets and hair ties, at the Leavey Invitational. Sept. 2, 2017

“I have an extremely close bond with my chronograph,” junior Anna Morley said. “I rely on it for so much that I would consider it to be one of my best friends.”

Chronographs serve many purposes, the most widely known being split taking and timing, but unbeknownst to many, it can do much more than just that. For example, if it gets too dark at the dance and you’ve lost your date, don’t fret! Just press the Indiglo button on your chronograph and you’ll illuminate the dancefloor just enough so that you’ll be able to spot them amongst the sea of dancers. If you start feeling tired, press the mode button and you’ll be able to check the time instantly to see if you should take a break from the dancing and take a power nap to ensure you get your 8 hours of sleep. At prom, you never know what will happen, especially if this is your first time attending it. Deciding to bring your chronograph along will ensure that you will always be prepared for whatever hits you.

Photo by Sarah Pinkowski
Junior Sarah May shows off her prized Garmin chronograph hours before the WSC Silver Division conference meet. March 16, 2018

“You want to be able to run a mile before you leave for prom,” junior Nicki Anderson said. “Your chronograph will take all of your splits so that you can show everyone there how fast you can run.”

Not only are chronographs essential to runners during their workouts and daily lives, they also serve as a statement accessory to their everyday outfits. Whether it’s a normal day and they’re wearing a long green line sweatshirt and running shorts or it’s the day of a meet and runners are dressed in suits and dresses, a chronograph can always be seen proudly displayed on their wrist.

“I think that chronographs are the new Rolex,” junior Claire McGovern said. “They are stylish, come in a variety of colors, take splits and set alarms. They are also waterproof and I am pretty sure that Rolexes aren’t waterproof.”

Junior Shannon Honquest proudly displays her Timex chronograph that she hasn’t taken off since the start of the cross country season. Feb. 20, 2018

Chronographs are a universal accessory that can add to any girl or guy’s prom look. Because of the wide variety of boutonnieres and corsages, it’s easy to pick one out to match both you and your date’s chronographs.

“At prom, the girls get corsages,” junior Tim Boyle said. “Us guys need something on our wrist, so I think wearing a chronograph is the best option.”

Photo by Sarah Pinkowski
Junior Johnny Sciabica wears his chronograph while studying in the math lab. March 16, 2018

Prom is one of the most memorable events of a student’s life, and everything has to be perfect in order to make sure that it’s a night they’ll never forget. A chronograph will not only complete anyone’s prom look, but it will ensure that they are fully prepared for whatever happens at the dance. Runners will attest to the fact that the right chronograph will completely change your life, so instead of stressing over picking out a dress or tux these next couple of months, spend your time finding that perfect chronograph that will make prom one of the most memorable nights of your life.