THIS IS YORK

Filed under Features, Showcase

Spread the word to end the word

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spread the word to end the word

Best Buddies members advertise the pledge banners, bracelets, and stickers to support the R Word Campaign.

Photo by Isabelle Downey

Photo by Isabelle Downey

Photo by Isabelle Downey

Every year Best Buddies campaigns for the elimination of the R word, but this year it was different from the rest. Throughout the week of March 5, Best Buddies set up a table in the commons with two banners that students could sign pledging to stop use of the R word, and sold bracelets and stickers.

Photo by Isabelle Downey
One of the R Word Campaign pledge banners Best Buddies had displayed in the Commons.

Students were encouraged to sign one of the two, or both of, the banners in the commons to pledge that they will refrain from the use of the R word. Club members made the banners to spread awareness about the ‘R Word Campaign’ to other York students who may not be familiar with the campaign.

“The creation of the banners allowed all students to realize that they are a part of a greater community at York that revolves around inclusion and mutual understanding, and you don’t have to be in Best Buddies to make a difference,” junior and Best Buddies Chapter Vice President Ben Airdo said.

Best Buddies started selling bracelets and stickers designed by sophomore and club coordinator Maddy McGreal as a way to raise money for the club’s participation in the Best Buddies Annual Friendship Walk, and to raise awareness for the ‘R Word Campaign’.

“Best Buddies hosts a friendship walk every year and we just thought having bracelet and sticker sales would not only be the perfect way to raise money for that but spread awareness,” senior and Best Buddies Chapter President Nibia Joseph said. “We were already planning on having a station where students could pledge to eliminate the use of the R word so it was the perfect opportunity.”

Photo by Isabelle Downey
One of the pledge banners with the stickers and bracelets for sale supporting Best Buddies.

With Best Buddies being an international organization, the York Best Buddies Chapter has received extreme amounts of support from York and the administration, and the entire Best Buddies International Community.

“The R word campaign has taken place at York before, but I think this year’s was definitely the most successful,” Joseph said.

Be sure to look out for and support the upcoming campaigns and projects sponsored by Best Buddies in the future!

About the Writer
Isabelle Downey, Y's Tales Editor-in-Chief

Isabelle Downey is a senior and has been on staff for the past three years. This year, she is the Editor-in-Chief of Y's Tales. She is involved in YTV,...

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Spanish 4H classes give the gift of education this Christmas

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Under the Monocle: Mr. Bill Riddle

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Sleeveless Jacket discusses their origins and upcoming performance at the Jam Lab

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

York’s dance program becomes a conversation starter

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

After the XC season is done, senior runners take on the 13.1

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Blurring the lines between a childhood love and a life-long passion

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Under the Monocle: Through Helen’s lens

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Vladislav Blaha pays a visit to York’s music department for the second time

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Senior Sarah May is an all-conference all-star

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Wise Duke Podcast Episode 3: Student Tips & Advice

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF YORK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL
Spread the word to end the word