Filed under Features, Showcase

Spread the word to end the word

Best Buddies members advertise the pledge banners, bracelets, and stickers to support the R Word Campaign.

Photo by Isabelle Downey

Photo by Isabelle Downey

Every year Best Buddies campaigns for the elimination of the R word, but this year it was different from the rest. Throughout the week of March 5, Best Buddies set up a table in the commons with two banners that students could sign pledging to stop use of the R word, and sold bracelets and stickers.

Photo by Isabelle Downey
One of the R Word Campaign pledge banners Best Buddies had displayed in the Commons.

Students were encouraged to sign one of the two, or both of, the banners in the commons to pledge that they will refrain from the use of the R word. Club members made the banners to spread awareness about the ‘R Word Campaign’ to other York students who may not be familiar with the campaign.

“The creation of the banners allowed all students to realize that they are a part of a greater community at York that revolves around inclusion and mutual understanding, and you don’t have to be in Best Buddies to make a difference,” junior and Best Buddies Chapter Vice President Ben Airdo said.

Best Buddies started selling bracelets and stickers designed by sophomore and club coordinator Maddy McGreal as a way to raise money for the club’s participation in the Best Buddies Annual Friendship Walk, and to raise awareness for the ‘R Word Campaign’.

“Best Buddies hosts a friendship walk every year and we just thought having bracelet and sticker sales would not only be the perfect way to raise money for that but spread awareness,” senior and Best Buddies Chapter President Nibia Joseph said. “We were already planning on having a station where students could pledge to eliminate the use of the R word so it was the perfect opportunity.”

Photo by Isabelle Downey
One of the pledge banners with the stickers and bracelets for sale supporting Best Buddies.

With Best Buddies being an international organization, the York Best Buddies Chapter has received extreme amounts of support from York and the administration, and the entire Best Buddies International Community.

“The R word campaign has taken place at York before, but I think this year’s was definitely the most successful,” Joseph said.

Be sure to look out for and support the upcoming campaigns and projects sponsored by Best Buddies in the future!

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Mia Sherman – a ray in the clouds

• Spread the word to end the word

Clubs

A fresh coat of paint: a year in Mural Club

• Features

Senior Summer Excitments

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Class of 2018 showcases their talents at the senior concert

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Choral year comes to a close; seniors singing send-off

• Spread the word to end the word

A&E Reviews

The Best Local Restaurants to Take a Bathroom Selfie

• Features

La Brigade’s last luncheon: May the 4th be with you

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Interacting with the community, working for change

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

A ray of change

• Spread the word to end the word

Features

Best Buddies: making a difference one friend at a time

Spread the word to end the word