Java Live Recap

The third Java Live of this semester was an amazing collection of original student work and beautiful covers, intertwined with laughing, mingling, and the light coming off of the little electric candles.

To start off the show MC Angelica DeBenedictis introduced the crowd to Austin Brown, junior, who performed “Chivas” by Kelly Clarkson, followed by “Only in Dreams” by Weezer.

Photo by Julia Jardon
Sophomore Angelica DeBenedictis (right) introduces the crowd to junior Austin Brown as he makes his way on to the stage.

Following Brown’s performance was freshman Christian Daum, bringing back the 80’s with a song by Depechemode.

Photo by Julia Jardon
“Jave live is a very welcoming community where everyone accepts one another through performances,” said Daum, who performed “Just can’t get enough” by Depechemode, as the second performance at Friday night’s Java Live.

Jumping from junior to freshman, the next act of the night was a sophomore duet consisting of Paul Bensen on piano and Sophia Fisher singing.

Photo by Julia Jardon
Fisher and Bensen, together, performed “Take Me to Church,” by Hozier and even with a few bumps in the performance due to an eruption of laughter from the singer, they still performed beautifully.

As the performances continued there was touching poetry performed by DeBenedictis, titled “White Cheddar Cheese,” dedicated to her boyfriend who sat in the audience.

Photo by Julia Jardon
“I know it’s cheesy;” DeBenedictis performed a poem written for her boyfriend, Gabe Jentel, who followed her performance covering “I went to the store one day” by Father John Misty.
Photo by Julia Jardon
Drawing attention to the stage, Jentel played two songs on guitar, gathering applause from the supporters who gathered around the stage during his performance.
Photo by Julia Jardon
The performances at Java Live weren’t solely those of current students; York graduate Erik Rocha got up on stage to perform “Put Your Head on My Shoulder” by Paul Anka for someone in the audience.
Photo by Julia Jardon
Sophomore Amanda Kuzel sang “Green” by Avonlea, intended to be accompanied by the ukulele, but she forgot her chord. Didn’t matter though, because she silenced the crowd anyway with voice.
Photo by Julia Jardon
Senior Ella Stanley performed a cover of “Last Words of a Shooting Star” by Mitski.
Photo by Julia Jardon
Singing “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse, junior Holly Goodwin sang to a karaoke track.
Photo by Julia Jardon
Before she began her performance, Lex Lesniak played a few cords to silence the crowd, responding to a “shut up” from a friend in the crowd by saying: “don’t be rude on my account.” Then, she performed “Fall for You” by Secondhand Serenade, followed by “Remembering Sunday” by All Time Low.
Photo by Julia Jardon
Previous act Austin Brown joins Kate Piechaczek on stage for a performance of Kelly Clarkson. “Our performance was really last minute and I’m really good friends with Austin. We’re both really big fans of Kelly Clarkson,” Piechaczek said.

The rest of the night included more performances from Erin Hasting, Hannah Orr, and Madds Buckley. All of which were expertly done and absolutely astounding.

Photo by Julia Jardon
Come out to the next Java Live and sign up to perform. Even if you don’t perform you can enjoy the beauty seen in your peers.