Girls varsity lacrosse takes on Kentucky

The York Girls Varsity Lacrosse team all smiles after their last game in Kentucky against Kentucky Country Day. Sun March 18, 2018.

The York Girls Varsity Lacrosse team took on the top three girls lacrosse teams in Kentucky this past weekend. They played hard, worked hard, and developed as a team. While the outcome of the games may not have been what the team wanted, it was a great opportunity to improve as a team.

They played Kentucky Eastern High School and Sacred Heart Academy on Saturday and then played Kentucky Country Day on Sunday going 0-3. Their record may not be what they wanted, but this weekend was a huge growing experience for the team. Head Coach Ryan Walz is very happy with the overall improvement from one game to the next and sees a bright future for this team.

“The team got better every game and we realized what we need to work on immediately,” said Walz. “We made adjustments to our transitions, adjusted our attack to play against a different style of defense, and realized we needed to increase urgency to make quicker plays.”

Freshman Elle Borchardt (left), Jenna Hughes (middle), and Ashlynn Sexton (right) after their last game in Kentucky before they headed back to Elmhurst. Sunday, Mar. 18, 2018.

Not only did the team make improvements on the field, they really got to grow as a community off the field. Cate Duhig, sophomore, really saw the growth as a team and the friendships that were made and that grew throughout the weekend.

“The Kentucky trip allowed us to get closer and really form a tight bond on the team,” said Duhig. “I am especially happy about this because chemistry is everything on the field and having the opportunity to have over 24 hours straight with your team helps grow that chemistry.”

Issy Torres, senior, also saw the chemistry that was built throughout the weekend.

“The team grew through communication and really developed as a unit throughout the weekend,” said Torres. “The trip benefited the team through the lessons we learned playing tough teams and by us getting to know and become more comfortable with one another.”

This team’s growth, positivity, and confidence are also seen through a new tradition the team took on this year. Walz purchased a trophy belt that individuals in games and teams in practice can earn if they are playing outstanding or if a team in practice does extremely well. This weekend’s belt winners included freshman Jenna Hughes and freshman Ellie Bernard. These freshmen really gained confidence on the field adjusting to new levels of play on a varsity sport.

Bernard had a hat trick during the third game, which was her first three goals on the team. She describes how she as an individual player improved and gained more confidence on the field.

Freshman Ellie Bernard won the one and only belt after her hat trick against Kentucky Country Day. Sunday, Mar. 18, 2018.

“The first two games I felt too nervous to go to the goal,” said Bernard. “On Sunday, both coaches told me to not be scared of the ball and to really push myself, and I ended up scoring. Winning the belt was really just a symbol for myself to show how hard I can actually play when I’m not nervous.”

The team overall is pushing each other and improving as individuals and as a team game by game. The team has a promising future ahead of them and the season will only go up from here. They know their strengths and weaknesses to improve upon for their upcoming games.

“We now know who we are as a team and are more prepared for the challenges that lie ahead,” said Walz.

The York Girls Varsity Lacrosse team all smiles after their last game in Kentucky against Kentucky Country Day. Sunday, Mar. 18, 2018.