Filed under Features, Showcase

Class of 2018 showcases their talents at the senior concert

The senior concert is always a bittersweet performance for both audience members and singers. The concert is an opportunity for all seniors to sing a solo song or duet and have a moment to shine before graduating. It has become a favorite concert to both perform and watch because of its casual nature; the senior concert never fails to be a fun-filled evening.

Many seniors picked songs that had sentimental value to them as their picks for the concert. Anna Triska and Nicole Polizzi sang “A Life That’s Good” by Lennon and Maisy.

Photo by Isabelle Dyer
Nicole Polizzi (left) and Anna Triska practice their song backstage before the show.

“I love this song, I have a very personal connection with it,” Anna Triska said. “My sister and I have grown up singing it, and I just love the family connection.”

Another perk to the senior concert is choir members showing off their instrumental talents, like Nicole Polizzi, along with their singing voices. Madds Buckley accompanied Sydney Morenz on her song “Blue Skies”. Even a few non-seniors were featured for their musical talent, like junior Ben Pavlik accompanying Cara Hovance’s rendition of “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse.

Photo courtesy of Evie Nudera
Sydney Morenz singing “Blue Skies”.

“I don’t normally play guitar,” Nicole Polizzi said . “But it’s fun getting to play while singing a duet with my best friend.”

Others choose songs that represent an end to high school choir and a look to new beginnings. With college quickly approaching, some seniors took this into consideration when picking their songs and chose songs that captured this emotion to share with the audience.

“My song is about how we are finally getting to senior year, and the hardest part is saying goodbye to people we have been with for years,” said Robby Larson, singing original song, “Not Our Last Goodbye”. “Even though we are all leaving, I hope we can all see each other again.”

Photo courtesy of Evie Nudera
Robby Larson singing his original song “Not Our Last Goodbye”.

Instead of focusing on the end of high school, some were more focused towards new, exciting futures in college or wherever they were planning on going next. Many emotions were felt, from happy and excited, to nervous and bittersweet.

“Our song [“Wherever I go”] is from Hannah Montana and is about Lily and Miley leaving for college and going their separate ways,” said Grace Vincent. “That’s what my best friend and I are doing currently and this song just perfectly captures that experience.”

Photo by Isabelle Dyer
Eileen King delivers an emotional performance onstage.

Some seniors went the comical route instead of emotional; including using frog puppets, singing about midgets and strippers, and even extras dressed as cats to bring the house down. Regina Hughes and Kate Mueller performed a two person rendition of “Circle of Life” from “The Lion King” using a frog puppet as their Simba, and Madds Buckley sang “A Summer in Ohio” from “The Last 5 Years”. Eileen King gave a dramatic performance of “Memory” from the hit musical “Cats” incorporating a few furry friends into her piece. Other seniors dressed as cats circled and lifted King up into the air and helped give a performance York will never forget.

“I chose this song [“Circle of Life”] because we are at the end of our “circle of life” here at York high school,” said Regina Hughes. “We are graduating, we are moving on, so it was a really powerful piece to me personally.”

Photo courtesy of Evie Nudera
Regina Hughes (left) and Kate Mueller singing “Circle of Life” from “The Lion King”.

The audience loved the high energy performances that the seniors put on, showcasing their various talents. It was a great ending to a great year of choir.

“It’s so exciting to see my senior friends show off their voices,” junior Jake Rehling said. “The performances are all so fun to watch and make me feel so proud of all my friends. It’s a really enjoyable night.”

Photo by Isabelle Dyer
Natalie Hradil, Danielle Fite, and Jackie Meyer pose backstage before the showcase.

With one more concert left on Thursday, the choir season is coming to a close for the year. Tune in to see our story on the last choir concert, going up soon!

“It’s super cool to see everyone you spend time with getting to do something they love doing,” sophomore Sebastian Rohn said.

• Class of 2018 showcases their talents at the senior concert

Features

Choral year comes to a close; seniors singing send-off

A&E Reviews

The Best Local Restaurants to Take a Bathroom Selfie

• Features

La Brigade’s last luncheon: May the 4th be with you

Features

Interacting with the community, working for change

Features

A ray of change

Features

Best Buddies: making a difference one friend at a time

• Features

Sexual Assault In The Media and Society

Features

Empowering change

Features

Under the Monocle: Michael Regan, young fashion expert

Features

Born to be Real not Perfect