York wrestling program ready to form dynasty alongside new head coach

Starting on November fifth, York wrestlers will be seen practicing alongside their new Head Coach Nicholas Metcalf. Although Metcalf is not new to York or the York wrestling community this will be his first year taking on the head coach position.

Metcalf began his wrestling career in sixth grade wrestling for the Villa Park Young Warriors Wrestling Club. During his first year he took sixth in state while wrestling at a weight of 115 pounds. As he progressed through middle school Metcalf continued to grow as a wrestler: taking third in seventh grade, ending in eighth grade with a first place win making him the first wrestler from the Villa Park Young Warriors Wrestling Club to win a state championship at 147 pounds.

Photo Courtesy of The Elmhurst Patch
Former York Assistant Coach Nicholas Metcalf is named Head Coach for the 2018-2019 wrestling season.

“Other than the pure fact of quickly falling in love with it, when you have never done wrestling and you try it for the first time you are going to know if it is for you or not,” Metcalf said. “If it is for you, you are going to quickly find out that wrestling is going to make you a better individual in life.”

After a four year varsity wrestling career at Willowbrook High School, Metcalf gained the ability to travel all over the nation wrestling in tournaments with Big Ten schools after receiving a part-time scholarship from Eastern Illinois University. Metcalf later transferred to Elmhurst College to finish up his college athletics career where he became a part of a three time CCIW conference championship team.

Photo Courtesy of SR Photo
All levels are brought together and mentored by coaches and senior wrestlers in order to create an unbreakable bond.

“Wrestling taught me a lot, but one big takeaway is that when you’re ready to quit, think about why you started,” Metcalf said. “What you do on the mat: sweat, blood, tears is only going to make you stronger. Life is not easy, life is not just handed to you, you will go through complications and wrestling will give you the background to get through it.”

Not willing to leave the wrestling community, Metcalf decided to take on coaching at schools throughout the western suburbs. Prior to this year Metcalf has been coaching for ten years at schools including Willowbrook, Oswego East, and our very own York Community High School as Assistant Varsity Coach since 2015.

“Having roughly ten years of coaching experience under my belt I know what it takes skill, mentally, physically, and socially wise to get these guys to believe in themselves,” Metcalf said.

After three years of coaching duke wrestlers, Metcalf has gained memories and bonds that will never be forgotten. As Assistant Coach he previously focused on heavyweight wrestlers, like junior Josh Mathiasen. Last year Josh proved all his doubters wrong with the support of Metcalf by his side.

“Coach Metcalf took me under his wing starting freshman year, he always is pushing me to work harder and he never lets me quit,” Mathiasen said. “The week of varsity regionals he helped me train harder than I ever have and guided me to get first in a championship match against an opponent who believed I was an easy defeat.”

Photo Courtesy of SR
Junior Josh Mathiasen listens as Coach Metcalf gets him ready to wrestle.

When you ask former or current duke wrestlers about Metcalf they begin to rave about the fun atmosphere he turns the wrestling balcony into or the determination and pride he has in the program. No matter what happens on the mat, no matter if there are 13 arms raised or just one they always remember that Metcalf is there on the side rooting for them.

“Metcalf is a great coach, I know that he’ll always have my best interests in mind and that at any point in the match I can always look over to him for the right advice,” senior Antonio Gutierrez said.

Photo Courtesy of SR Photo
The program unites together to cheer on their final wrestler of the night.

When the opportunity to become Head Coach fell into his lap Metcalf knew he had to take it. Wrestling is a sport that has the power to make you a better individual due to the concept of having to physically battle another human at both practice and meets. Wrestlers become experts at having to deal with adversity, and Metcalf is ready to teach them how.

During practices this year, both the wrestler and coaches will be focusing on proper skills like strength and endurance. Metcalf wants to build a dynasty and believes that in order to do so- he as a coach- will reach out to the entire program, not just individuals or varsity to ensure success for years to come.

“I want to build a dynasty and that starts with the incoming group of freshman,” Metcalf said. “We have to have a large group of guys come out and they have to stick it and with each other until senior year.”

If you’re debating whether or not to become a duke wrestler, remember this could be your chance to be a part of a dynasty. You will never be forced to starve yourself, because IHSA has rules in place banning any form of starvation. You will never be forced to wear a singlet if that is something you are afraid of, there are combat shorts and tshirts you are able to purchase instead. However, you will be a part of something bigger than yourself. You will be a part of a sport that teaches you how to survive.

“Your high school athletic career is short you want to maximize every day, every season, and every year,” Metcalf said. “Our coaching staff and the kids we have on our program are welcoming and good mentors for freshman. Plus once you join the team you are a part of a family–a wrestling family–a family you didn’t know existed.”

Photo Courtesy of SR Photo
The York Dukes Wrestling Program is ready to create a dynasty.