THIS IS YORK

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Boys basketball takes second in MLK weekend tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Nate Shockey drives through two Rockford East players in the championship game of the Wheaton Warrenville South MLK tournament.

Photo courtesy of My Suburban Life

Photo courtesy of My Suburban Life

Photo courtesy of My Suburban Life

Over the weekend Wheaton Warrenville South hosted their annual Martin Luther King Jr. day basketball tournament which consisted of 16 teams from around the state. Heading into the tournament, the Dukes held a 17-2 record and were atop the West Suburban Silver conference. While they fell just two points short of Rockford East in the championship game, the teams’ outlook for the remainder of the season is still full of high hopes and expectation.

With four seconds left in the title game against Rockford East, senior Nick Kosich attempted a heavily contested three-point shot for the win, but it rimmed out and they fell 64-62. As devasting as it can be to lose in the final seconds, York almost achieved what would have been their second tournament title of the season. Now, the remainder of their season will consist of conference play.

“Playing a team like Rockford the way we did shows that we can compete against anyone,” senior Sam Walsh said. “Our team feels very confident for the rest of the season and we hope to win a conference championship.”

Photo courtesy of My Suburban Life
Senior Sam Walsh goes up for a layup against a Rockford East player.

Ahead of the final game, the Dukes won two close games, beating Wheaton Warrenville South in the semifinal 49 -36 and Plainfield East 47 – 39 in which the Dukes shot seven for eight from the free throw line to close it out. But it all started with a bang when York beat Schaumburg Christian soundly by a score of 62 – 24. While it is very likely that York will never match up with any of these teams again this season, they proved to be a legit contender in Illinois as they dominated their way to the final round.  

“We expected to win the whole tournament but we were proud of the way we competed throughout despite the loss, “ junior Nate Shockey said. “We were upset with that loss after the last shot didn’t fall in our favor, but now we will turn that into motivation for the remainder of the season.”

The team now has just six games left before playoffs begin. Currently sitting at 5-1 in conference play, five of their last six games will be against conference opponents and they have the potential to make or break their season. Next up they will host Hinsdale Central this Saturday, the 26th. This is their first matchup with their rival this year, and while Hinsdale sits at just 5-13 on the year, 1-4 in the conference, anything can happen in a rivalry game. As the final stretch endures over the next three weeks, look for the Dukes to make a run into the state playoffs.

“Now we know we can beat any team we just have to compete and come ready to play in every game,” Shockey said. “I believe we are capable of making a run in the playoffs.”

• Boys basketball takes second in MLK weekend tournament

News

Sign up for Mr. Duke Competition

Video

Friday, February 15, 2019 | YTV Daily Announcements

Sports

York Hockey looks to up their mental game for postseason

Sports

Major moves at the trade deadline leading to potential chaos in the NBA

News

Chess Team makes a statement in Peoria

Clubs

More stress, less sleep: FCCLA students bring their passion to COD for regional competition

Opinions

What’s left for Tom Brady to prove?

Opinions

Life Through the Filter: VSCO’s Unrealistic Reality

Opinions

Sweet Victory is a loss for SpongeBob

News

Sign up for senior vs. staff volleyball game

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF YORK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL