Fantasy Football 2019-2020: Love, Hate and Sleeper Picks

The beginning of the NFL season means different things for different people. For some, it signifies the start of the emotional roller coaster that is dictated by every play by their beloved team. For others, it is the beginning of the most thinking they will do all year, to put together the perfect fantasy football squad.

A league usually consisting of 8 to 12 teams draft their teams of a quarterback, two running backs, two wide receivers, a tight end, kicker, defense, as well as 5 backup players. Teams are comprised of NFL players from all around the league. 

“I root for teams I normally wouldn’t root for; it makes [NFL] games more interesting,” sophomore Connor Wall said. 

In years past some players have caused fantasy owners loads of stress. For example, last year New York Jets running back Le’Veon Bell decided to sit out the entire year after he felt that his contract was not enough for him. However, the entire year there was speculation of whether or not he would finalize a deal in order to play this year. So, this caused his stock in fantasy football to fluctuate week to week. 

This year has seen the same types of situations arise with running back Melvin Gordon of the Los Angeles Chargers. He looks to be on the same path as Bell was last season. Thus fantasy owners should steer away from selecting Gordon, and instead select a more reliable player that has played throughout the preseason. In addition, selecting the next man on the depth chart behind the potential hold out player could be a sneaky mid to late round pick that could provide huge benefits if the player decides to hold out.

This year, Austin Eckler is now set to be the starter in absence of Melvin Gordon with Chicago native Justin Jackson looking to get his fair share of carries in the red zone as well providing potential for impactful points out of a RB2 or flex position.

Photo courtesy of USA Today
From left to right, Austin Eckler, Melvin Gordon, Justin Jackson.

Last season was the year of the running back in fantasy football, as breakouts Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffrey and Saquon Barkley all put up inhumane point totals. This year seems to be pointing to more of the same as McCaffrey and Barkley are listed as the top two fantasy players in the league this year. For good reason, there is a national debate over which player should be drafted first overall.

At York, an overwhelming 68 percent of students vowed Saquon Barkley would be their number one overall pick, with only 16 percent of students choosing McCaffrey. Regardless of who you would choose as your number one pick, both players show an absurd amount of upside. 

Photo courtesy of Andrew Mills
Saquon Barkley celebrating a touchdown last season.

“[Fantasy Football] is very fun to play with people you know well, as well as people you may not know that well to get to know people better,” sophomore Owen Stufflebeam said.

Stufflebeam has participated in fantasy football for five years with family and friends. However, there are some who choose not to participate in the long season, such as Freshmen Ava Broderson. Broderson participated in fantasy football in the past; however, this season she decided to opt out. 

“I don’t participate because football isn’t my favorite sport, and I know that I would just forget about it and not do it or get involved so it’s not worth it,” Broderson said.

Regardless of whether you drafted what you hope will be your winning team, or if you will be doing other things besides watching football, fantasy football will be the talk of the school from this first week of the NFL season until winter break.