Where did everything in the C Building go?

Muphy McFarlane, Multimedia Editor

With the addition of the INCubator lab, the C Building at York has undergone much change. From the relocation of the Test Makeup Center (TMC) to the creation of the new Flex Lab, there has been much buzz amongst students and teachers regarding the exciting renovations. 

Photo by Murphy McFarlane
The learning commons new look replaces the old peer tutor area with a brand new genrefied fiction section.

“Because we created the INCubator class, we had to find a place for what we use to call the Lincoln Lab,” McGuire said. “The new Lincoln Lab moved across the hall where the Test Makeup Center was. We created a Flex Room in there for teachers to be able to use [for class].”

The Flex Lab is intended for teachers to reserve and utilize for class time. It offers students an alternative space to learn that differs from a normal classroom setting. Subsequently, the TMC was moved to the northeast corner of the Learning Commons. This change affects students for the better.

“This move definitely improved the test make up area,” McGuire said. “Now in the back of the LC it’s a lot quieter.”

Not only is the new location of the TMC a better fit, but the Peer Tutor area was also moved to an environment where it is better suited. In the back of the Flex Lab, a wall was created to give the Pure Tutor center its own space.

“It’s nice to have our own space to establish a tutoring environment,” senior and peer tutor Darelle Menendie said. “There isn’t that much noise and disruption coming in, and we can be as loud as we need to be.”

With the tutor center out of the way, the Learning Commons utilized the unoccupied  space to organize the fiction books. The new set up should appeal to students who are looking for a good read.

“We recently genrefied our fiction section,” Head Librarian Erica Drumm said. “It makes it more like a bookstore, so if you didn’t come in with a specific book in mind you can gravitate toward your interests.”

Whether you’re browsing for a new sci- fi book, making up a math quiz in the TMC, or even just spending your English class in the Flex Lab, students are sure to experience the changes of York sometime this semester.

“I think these changes definitely generate some energy for our kids at York,” McGuire said.  “When you’re in a classroom like the INCubator space it gets you more excited to be there each and every single day, and which adds to the energy and feeling of the school.