York students gathered in the Commons for the Winter Dance on Feb. 22, 2019. (Photo by Hannah Brody)
York students gathered in the Commons for the Winter Dance on Feb. 22, 2019.

Photo by Hannah Brody

Dukes get pumped for highly anticipated snowball dance

February 7, 2020

Every Homecoming Season, students gather in the sweaty and crowded field house for an action packed night of stepping on stranger’s toes, mosh pits, and bad remixes of popular songs. While upperclassmen have the opportunity to do it all over again in the spring for Prom, freshmen and sophomores only have that one opportunity a year to dress up and dance the night away. 

“I think it’s a bummer that we used to only have two dances a year,” senior Carissa Ruiz said. “I used to see all these pictures from other schools with turnabouts or winter dances and I felt kind of left out. I am looking forward to hanging out with all of my friends and getting ready for a great night.”

After years of debate, the 2020 Snowball was born. On Feb. 22, there will finally be a solution to the problem that students have been complaining about since the turnabout was canceled  in 2014. 

“I am super excited to have an extra dance,” sophomore Mckenzie Kortez said. “I love getting ready and taking pictures with all of my friends and I’m glad that we can do it again after homecoming instead of worrying about getting a date to go to prom.” 

With multiple posters around the school promoting the dance, it would be hard to miss the information on when or where it will be held: On Saturday, Feb, 22 at 7 p.m. in the Commons. While some students are ecstatic to have another dance, others are not planning on attending due to prior conflicts in their schedules.

“Although I wish I could go, I cannot get out of work that night,” senior Mary Clare Hughes said. “With college coming up soon, I can’t miss an opportunity to make money.”

However, dances may not be everyone’s cup of tea. For some students, homecoming was enough. 

“I don’t really feel like going to the dance just because I have never felt like dances were my thing,” senior Luke Rospert said. “I know a lot of my friends really enjoy them and it is a good way to see some people out of school, but I don’t think they’re for me personally.” 

Regardless if you do or do not have a date, the Snowball will be a fun way to hang out with friends and dance all night long.

“I am so excited to just have a girl’s night with all of my gal pals,” senior Angelica Debenidictis said. “I think the Winter Dance is going to be spectacular and a huge shout out to the Student Council for making it happen.”