Performing arts students experience abrupt end

Senior+Sebastian+Rohn+portrayed+the+titular+character+in+Uncle+Vanya+this+winter+in+most+recent+performance+on+the+York+stage.+

Photo by Lucy Valeski

Senior Sebastian Rohn portrayed the titular character in “Uncle Vanya” this winter in most recent performance on the York stage.

Sam Grabau, Reporter

Not being able to experience events like Decision Day, Prom and other senior activities proves difficult for students. Moreover, sorrow has definitely been felt by performing arts students at this school. To work so hard in order to put something together is something that York Drama has been doing for years. But due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all rehearsals were put on hold and the show was suspended indefinitely. It’s hard for performing arts students not to be upset during a time like this, but students are hopeful for a bright future. 

“This show was something different, out of the four years of shows I’ve done at York, the creative approach we had to this show was very special,” said senior Sebastian Rohn who was casted as Judas in the show. “I think that made Jesus Christ Superstar more exciting to be a part of. Everyone thought this show was going to be different and were excited for a unique experience. Having that taken away made it even more difficult for the entire cast. I mean, as hard as it is, we just have to stay positive.”

Just like the cast of Jesus Christ Superstar, the advanced dance class also learned what it’s like to lose the power of coming together to make something creative. The group of dancers in the class got so close with one another, the class has still been able to be creative by having students come up with their own choreography and having students follow along with virtual choreography.

“Since we have to stay quarantined, we aren’t able to get the satisfaction of dancing and having fun with our friends and teachers who have become like family to us,” senior Hannah Maloy of advanced dance said. “Our dance instructor still has us dancing during quarantine, whether it’s following along with a dance she makes up or she has us make our own dances which have been a really cool experience.”

Similar to those in advanced dance, students in the music department have also experienced COVID-19’s negative impact on their senior year. Staying in touch virtually has been a helpful tool for many musicians in order to rehearse and communicate, unfortunately, it doesn’t have the same benefits as before. Nonetheless, these students have still continued to do what they love and work hard.

“I think all of the kids in the orchestra and the fine arts, in general, are really getting hit hard by not being able to congregate and make music together because that’s really the only thing we do. We can practice alone, but it’s really magical when the music comes together. Therefore, it’s really sad when we don’t have that ability anymore,” senior viola player Johanna Kramer said. “I have weekly private lessons over Zoom for two hours on Saturday mornings. We work on piano, music theory, and viola. It’s a really great tool so I can continue to grow my musicianship while still in self-isolation.”