The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

York embraces additions to faculty and staff

A deeper look into York’s new faces
Mia Barclay
Jill Bliss writing notes on the whiteboard in her new classroom.

There has been plenty of innovation this year at York, and with that comes plenty of new staff members. In order to get to know these new faculty members, ThisIsYork went through a series of interviews with a handful of these brand new faces.

Jill Bliss, a Math teacher in the Special Education department, is excited to return to York after spending last Spring semester student-teaching here at York. She’s ready to further understand the Duke traditions and be even more involved in the community!

“I’m looking forward to seeing all of the culture, and all of the homecoming traditions,” Bliss said. “I’ve been able to see a little sneak preview of all those fun things in the spring, but I’m definitely excited to see more of that school spirit!”

Bliss is especially drawn to York because of its uniquely welcoming environment. She is excited to work in the special-education department during her first full year, as she loves working with students to make sure they can be as successful as possible.

“All of the staff and students are so kind and welcoming,” Bliss said. “There’s nobody who doesn’t want to talk to you, and everybody is very open and kind.” 

Outside of teaching, Bliss is involved in a variety of activities. “I have two golden-retrievers, so I like to go on walks, I like yoga, and I also like to cook,” Bliss said. She also loves Taylor Swift! Her favorite song is currently “August” by Taylor Swift, and went to the “Eras Tour” twice this summer.

Grace Ciolino, one of the newest members of the world language department, is a former student of Lake Park High School, who prior to York was student teaching at Keller Junior High in Hoffman Estates. It being her first year teaching, she had a lot to say about what encouraged her and her goals as an educator. 

“I want, specifically as a Spanish educator, for my students to be able to understand that Spanish is a tool they can use outside of class, and the power that another language holds. Being able to speak another language is a great tool,” Ciolino said.

Grace Ciolino (left) and Eduvijes Martinez in the Language Department office laughing with one another during their shared free period. (Mia Barclay)

Throughout her high school career, Ciolino was drawn to Spanish, and subsequently decided to pursue the language. She now looks forward to working with students at York, and being able to experience all that comes with our school, including our imposing school spirit and the homecoming festivities. When she isn’t teaching, Ciolino remains quite active. 

“In my free time I like to hangout with my friends, and spend time with my family. I like to play basketball, listen to a lot of music –a lot of Spanish music– and I watch the Bulls a lot, because I am very into sports as well,” Ciolino said.

Joe Geocaris is the new Division Chair for Literacy here at York, and is ready to take on the new school year with dedication and passion. 

“York has been here for one-hundred years, and it’s definitely changing and morphing all of the time. I think there’s a lot of really good work and a lot of positivity in the air this year, and I’m really excited to be a part of that energy,” Geocaris said.

What Geocaris really loves about York is the energy and school pride in the air. After teaching in several different schools, Geocaris notes that York has the most noticeable school spirit of them all. 

“Moving from class to class, there is definitely that energy in the building, which has really been new,” Geocaris said. “There’s a lot of pride, and it’s really cool to hear people talk with such passion about what they do.”

Outside of the classroom, Geocaris loves reading and going out in nature. 

“My free time is dominated by a three-year-old and six-year-old at home, so I don’t really have a lot of it. When I get it back, I look forward to reading and going out on hikes again,” Geocaris said.

Joe Geocaris greets students while they scan their IDs amidst entering the lunchroom. (Mia Barclay)

As for the music he listens to, it’s similarly controlled by his kids for now, which is new to him as a music lover. 

“My taste is kind of dictated by my children, so basically whatever they’re into right now, which has mostly been Taylor Swift,” Geocaris said. “I’m good when they’re in their Taylor Swift phase, since I like her. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser for everyone.”

Geocaris loves what he does, but the path to finding out his passion was anything but linear. 

“I was always really drawn to English and stories. Even as early as second-grade, I would write creative stories and was always reading. At that point, I had a lot of stuff on my mind, but I was always kind of embracing my natural interests, which has evolved over time,” Geocaris said. 

Now, he could not be more happy with where these interests landed him, as he is now able to spread his love for English to students.

York also welcomed a new counselor this year, Keegan Maletich. Maletich has been a teacher elsewhere for over 10 years, however this is her first year counseling. She has previously coached cross country and track for York, but this is her first year working at the school. She looks forward to a lot here. 

“I love the school spirit so it’s been very fun seeing that again- obviously I saw it when I was coaching here- but just the excitement and the amazing things that are happening in and outside the classroom here it’s fun to witness it and be a part of,” Maletich said. “There are so many great opportunities, and so I love seeing all the different things that students are involved in.”

Keegan Maletich diligently typing as she awaits meetings with students in her new office. (Mia Barclay)

Pertaining to her aspirations, Maletich has a strong desire to help students feel comfortable within the school community. 

“I think it’s always important for students to feel supported and safe in the school environment and so that’s one of my big drives and being here is to be an advocate and a cheerleader for all students that I work with, and just being a positive presence and someone that people feel excited and safe around,” Maletich said.

Outside of school and being a mother of two, Maletich has many hobbies of her own.

“I love to travel and be anywhere on the water, especially up north in Michigan, going anywhere with live music,” Maletich said. “My husband and I love going to concerts and trying out new restaurants, I also do yoga and I run, I like to read, and I love to laugh.”

Olivia Ortiz is joining York as a social worker. Before York, she was a social worker at West Chicago High School. Discussing her reasoning behind her career choice, Ortiz had this to say about what inspired her. 

“I became a high school social worker because I wished I would have had one in high school. I feel like there are obviously a lot of life things, problems and emotions that sometimes high school students experience and don’t always have access to help for, so I wanted to be that person,” Ortiz said.

Here at York, Ortiz has many hopes for her students. 

“I think for the students I work with to know that they are never alone, and that even though I’m a staff member or an adult, I’m still human and that life is life and I want my kids to know that they always have someone in this school building,” Ortiz said.

Beyond the classroom, Ortiz loves to workout and eat. Her favorite artist is Karol G, and her favorite song from her at the moment is “Besties.”

Colin Rook is our newest addition to the English section of the Special Education department. 

“I think I’m really most excited about all of the other things outside of the classroom. What I’ve seen from York so far with extracurriculars such as sports and drama has been great. I’m excited to be a part of a community that really embraces those extracurriculars,” Rook said. “All of the teachers and administrators have been really supportive of me, and the students have been equally as welcoming.”

Rook discovered his love for teaching after taking an “Intro to Teaching” class at his high school. 

“It was already something I knew I loved doing, but that experience in high school really sold me on being a teacher,” Rook said. “Ever since then, I’ve really developed a passion for working with young people.”

Colin Rook eagerly guiding students during his fifth period English class. (Julia Allie)

Other than teaching, Rook loves sports. Additionally, he loves spending time with his family.

“I love watching soccer games on the weekends, along with other sports, like the NFL or NBA,” Rook said. “This summer has been mostly spent with my newborn son and my wife, just going to different parks or visiting coffee shops around town.” 

He also loves the album “Blond” by Frank Ocean. 

“‘Blond’ is an incredible album, and I especially like ‘Nights’. It has a lot of meaning, it’s catchy, and I have a lot of great memories attached to it.”

With their variety of experiences and vast aspirations, the York community seems primed and ready to welcome these new faculty and staff members to the building.