The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

Amateur Musicians Club hold open mic event

The Amateur Musicians Club held an open mic where students were able to showcase their talents on Dec. 15 during lunch periods.
Pagosa Springs, made up of Benji Gorny, Kate Krupa, and Dylan Bennett perform two original songs during the open mic event.

On Dec. 15, Amateur Musicians Club had an open mic during all lunch periods, allowing a variety of musicians to perform and display their many talents and passions towards music at the hands of music instructor Christopher Gemkow.

“It was my idea years ago to perform during the school day. Someone invited us to perform during spirit week, and we just said to ourselves ‘Why don’t we set up a stage and mic and let students play what they want?’”  Gemkow asked. “Everyone loved it and since then, we have been doing open mic almost quarterly.”

This tradition of open mic is one now cherished by many students, including senior Emerson Graham, who debuted two of her original songs during the performance, titled Unravel and Evangeline, accompanied simply by her passionate voice and a few piano chords.

“I think that performing my songs is definitely a way of expressing myself without, well, sort of spiraling,”  Graham said. “It is a great way of getting my emotions out.”

Considering Graham is a longtime singer and performer, these songs were an impressive and emotional insight into Graham’s songwriting capabilities, made possible by her love for poetry and her vast musical talents. Her music helps her cope with the emotional aspects of life.

Senior Emerson Graham performs two of her original songs during the performance.

“I love songwriting and I love poetry, so I definitely think putting what I feel in music is a good way of processing what I go through,” Graham said.

Freshman Ava Glaviskas also debuted her talents on stage, singing an original song titled Inside Jokes. This was her first time appearing on stage here at York, and she seemed beyond excited to have done so.

“I just love performing, singing, writing music, all of that- I just love music so much,” Glaviskas said.

Freshman Ava Glaviskas performs a couple of her original songs alongside a variety of other aspiring musicians.

Later in the show, the band Pagosa Springs, made up of sophomore Benji Gorny, freshman Dylan Bennett, and guest drummer and senior Kate Krupa, performed two original songs themselves, titled Chet Baker Maker and Who Hurt Jessica.

“Why I enjoy performing, well, I like not having to hide myself,” Bennett said.

During their performance, the band made sure to show their appreciation for Gemkow, who organized and created the whole event in the first place. As a result, Gemkow received a grand applause for his hard work and motivation.

“I appreciate everything that’s here, all the accommodations we’ve been given- it’s all amazing,”  Gorny said, who plays both bass and guitar. “We are really psyched to be here and appreciate everyone, especially Mr. Gemkow.”

Gemkow himself enjoys motivating students, pushing them to their greatest potential and encouraging them to obtain the desire to perform. Open mic is one of Gemkow’s most beloved musical traditions here at York, as he is able to see his students in their most live, authentic form, while doing what they are passionate about.

“I think open mic, it’s the amateur musicians club in its purest form- we just set up the stage, put up some gear and invite anybody to perform,” Gemkow said.

As mentioned before, any student can sign up to perform during these open mics, making these events something to look forward to for the audience and performers, or any aspiring musician who has the desire to share their talent with the student body.

“Anybody can perform,” Gemkow said. “There is no expectation that it needs to be perfect and polished- just take what you have been working on and perform it.”