The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

Staff cookie competition decorates York with a new holiday festivity

Jenna Callen, family and consumer science teacher, enjoying the special education department’s table of cookies.

This holiday season, York put together its first annual staff cookie baking competition. Each department has a display of treats where members of each department are encouraged to bake and bring something to share. This new project was a hit when it comes to celebrating the end of the first semester.

“I think it’s awesome to see people gather that probably haven’t seen each other in a long time,” Special Education Division Chair Amanda Wilmer said. “It really brings people together that you don’t always see.”

Many departments’ tables of treats located in the faculty lounge even incorporated a theme to base their cookie decorations off of. The fan favorite being Special Education’s “Grinch” themed desserts.

“I love Taylor Swift so I’m a huge fan of the Eras-themed table,” Olivia Ortiz, social worker, said. “But because I’m part of the special education department too, I would vote for them. In regards to it all, I think it’s amazing and my belly is very happy.”

Though York tries to make attending school worthwhile with all the winter entertainment, it’s a common theme with students and staff alike that rest and relaxation is what everyone looks forward to when school is off.

“I’m definitely looking forward to sleeping past 5 a.m.,” Wilmer said. “I like to do nothing so just relaxing and binge watching TV with my kids sounds good to me.”

Other winter activities York inputs that both students and staff participate in have proven to get the community excited for the holiday season as well. Having pajama day, being greeted with the band playing Christmas music and hot chocolate as students enter the building, to then having a staff member run around school wearing a Grinch costume, everyone seems to enjoy the last couple days before winter break.

“I definitely think the spirit week does a good thing getting York into the holiday spirit,” Wilmer said. “I loved that they played the Elf movie here and then with staff trying to get together outside of the classroom to have our departments bond.”

With this new addition to the holiday fun, staff get to look forward to not only their traditions at home, but this competition as well. The special education department won this time around, but the other departments might try to step up their game for years to come.

“I think for our first annual we did have good participation,” Amy Muller, social studies teacher, said. “I’m sure this will grow in years to come because it’s always fun to start a new tradition.”