The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

Ambassadors Club helps give a leg up to the community

Briana West, Angelina Correa Broccolo, Mia Hanger, Erin Paul, help guide new incoming students, into their new home as a future Duke.

The definition of a community is a group of people having a particular characteristic in common with one another. In Ambassadors Club, they serve the purpose in giving back to the community by participating more then one should to those who need support. Throughout previous years, Ambassadors Club has joined forces between a working force of guidance and leadership skills. For senior Angelina Correa Broccolo, both her years in the program have led her into becoming a strong advocate within her community.

“The club gives you opportunities to speak up when needed and guide others,” Correa Broccolo said. “As well as the chance to not only interact within their school community, but also volunteer to take on bigger roles within our school.”

More than 70 leaders in Ambassadors club have led students into feeling welcomed to events like Freshman Night, teacher conferences, open house, and the first few days into the new school year. Similarly, senior Daniela Oliveros Maya, was firstly drawn to the club by the amount of volunteer opportunities she had wanted to bring towards a variety of different diverse backgrounds.

“I was inspired to help out my community due to being someone who didn’t have anyone to guide me in the process of immigrating to a new country like the states,” Oliveros Maya said. “ I want to become the person I didn’t have because I knew many people like me were struggling to find a place to fit in.”

Ambassadors Club has been the outlet into finding new ways to be connected within the community by uplifting the students who aren’t as well represented. Club members are then able to branch out into helping provide useful and resourceful opportunities to new incoming students. Cameron Johnsen, senior, explores his chances into doing acts of service.

“I have done lots of events by helping out parents and students navigate the school, along with activities to talk to students about the club,” Johnsen said. “The club has also helped me become a better leader by giving me lots of opportunities to be a role model for other students, especially new students or freshman.”

Ambassadors Club has not only guided new incoming students to York, but have also encouraged others to go beyond the limit of receiving any extrinsic motivation. Big tasks shape bigger leaders into becoming that anchor to others, because one might never know when another might change a person’s perspective in also becoming another role model to others.

“I was a transfer student my sophomore year and I remember I had an Ambassador of my own and she was just really welcoming and really helped me get adjusted to York,” Correa Broccolo said. “That’s when I decided I wanted to become an Ambassador too and carry on that positive atmosphere with future students, as I continue to shape a well grounded community”