Shepard Plamann and Connor Choi prepare themselves to do the announcements.
Camila Arredondo

Ytv students amplifying their voice on and off the camera

As the school year continues to thrive itself throughout a whirlwind of events, how does one keep up with all the latest trends? York’s broadcast communications class has developed its way into being a resource for students to take note of the latest news happening around the school, whether that be in sports or in a club. York’s broadcast communications class has also expanded into two separate segways for students to explore different sides of broadcasting: York Television (Ytv) and York Sports Network (YSN)
York’s broadcast communications class has evolved since the class of 2009, when students had only one class segment of media that was Ytv. Before, students would need to take broadcast communications in order to transition into Ytv. Now that journalism has combined forces with the program, there is now a class called Journalism and New Media that replaces broadcast communications. The final stage of transitioning into the Ytv program ranges from displaying multiple pieces of content that can go from last night’s game results to showcasing extra curricular events.
“Ytv has been a class for over 15 years and it’s a class that interests students in the fundamentals of video production and broadcast basics,” Brendan Chambers, Ytv director, said. “York’s Sports Network grew out of students who were in Ytv that wanted to do more sports broadcasting and it became its own beast since its students led.”

Ytv teaches students to create their own content for the schools daily announcements including Friday features, podcast shows, anchoring for the announcements, and heavily based editing that is then produced by the students. YSN is also a student run program that is separate from Ytv but can be incorporated into the announcements. The work that is incorporated into the announcements can also be overlooked throughout those 10 minutes of content.
“When you watch your sports games, most people don’t don’t truly understand what it takes to prepare for the events until you’ve been able to do it,” junior Shepard Plamann said. “People think the broadcasting is so easy but they don’t see all the behind the scenes problems with the tech and what’s really going on in the editing booth.”
Although a video can last a minute, it takes more than a day to produce a video when it comes to gathering interviews and background footage. On top of gathering sound and video of an event, it also takes a week to accurately edit a video on time in order to make it on the announcements. Students are also then put to the task to get familiar with heavy technical equipment that are used by real life professionals on the field.
“Something I wish people knew about Ytv is that these students are using professional software and getting these skills that I believe are taken for granted by a lot of people who watch these videos,” Chambers said. “The students in the class are really putting together all the nuts and bolts of creating a great video.”
The class can get technical when it comes to dealing with heavy equipment. There is also a sense of responsibility, since all projects are made outside of class and pieced together in the classroom. Students are then able to collaborate with other people who also share similar interests in a variety of different aspects of media that can go from social media to creating short films.
“Ytv is really just a place to explore my own creativity and create things that I’m interested in. It’s one of the only classes where I really feel comfortable and like I can be myself,” junior Cameron Johnsen said. “Everyone there is very like-minded and has similar interests to me, and it’s a class I would never remove from my schedule.”
The class itself has evolved into not only a classroom, but also a sense of community when it comes to finding a student’s sense of belonging. Combining both YSN and Ytv, has led to a sense of leadership when it comes to being the voice for students at York. The program has brought many incoming students to participate in the announcements and has expanded its communications community.
“From watching Ytv, even before I joined, I always found it to be the most entertaining part of my morning,” senior, Andrea Alcarez, said. “Once I joined, I love how it is a truly liberating environment which supports everyone’s creativity, either behind the camera or onscreen.”