Laurie Foss is beaming with Duke Pride

Laurie Foss explains the different lobes of the brain to her 7th and 8th period Invite to Teach students.

Laurie Foss is thrilled to join the York family as the new FCS teacher for the 2015-2016 school year.

Foss earned her Bachelor of Science in secondary education from Eastern Illinois University, and went on to receive her Master’s Degree from St. Xavier University. She comes to York with 10 years of experience in teaching numerous FCS classes.

Previously, Foss had worked at Leyden High School, but she became unsatisfied in her work environment. She decided to look for new opportunities, and York immediately came to mind.

“I had always heard such wonderful things about York,” said Foss. “All of them true!”

Although she misses her old school in some aspects, York is quickly welcoming her into the community.

“They are both great schools, and even though I really miss my students from Leyden, the students here at York have made me feel really great about my decision,” said Foss.

She is excited to show her department her technical knowledge; she had been involved in the 1:1 Chromebook program at Leyden for a few years.

“I am happy to bring my 1:1 Chromebook experience and help everyone transition to a web-based curriculum,” said Foss. “I have a plethora of handy tech-tools for the classroom that I love sharing!”

Foss is overwhelmed by the amount of spirit and enthusiasm York has to offer. She hopes to experience some of the amazing opportunities first hand.

“I am really looking forward to Homecoming, seeing some of the plays, and just getting involved in the school culture,” said Foss. “York has great school spirit which makes it such a fun place to work.”

Foss is particularly excited for the spirit involved in having “Duke Pride”, but she also plans on becoming involved in extracurricular activities as well.

“So far I am working with my department in the FCCLA club.  I also hope to get involved in more areas of the school to get to know more students and teachers,” said Foss. “I have previously headed up the Fashion club and Random Acts of Kindness club at Leyden.”

Even though Foss is extremely involved in the school environment, she also has many hobbies outside of school.

“I enjoy running, soccer, camping, hiking, cooking, and most importantly, I love playing with my 4 year old son,” said Foss.

Foss is excited to see what she has to offer York and what York has to offer her.