The do’s and don’ts of men’s fall and winter fashion

Halloween has come and gone, and one thing is clear: fall fashion is in mid-season.

York’s hallways are already filled with a variety of plaid hues as many students have embraced the colder weather and have successfully transitioned to warmer clothing.

Sadly, though, many York students still have not changed from their summer wear. From shorts to flip flops, there are a variety of ways to reject the transition to fall garments. Luckily, it is never too late to make a change in your wardrobe.

These are the do’s and don’t’s of men’s fall fashion.

Don’t: Shorts

Senior Quinn Corcoran tries to act cool while donning shorts.
Jack Rodgers

While shorts may be more than acceptable and comfortable in the hot heat of Chicago summers, they are just a road to cold calves and disapproving looks. To be blunt, shorts are unprofessional. Look at male teachers and other professionals around the school; none of them wear shorts.

Do: Pants

(from left to right) Mr Albert, Mr Chambers, Mr Bilerman, and freshman Bozek Kazuba stand proudly sporting pants.
Quinn Corcoran
(from left to right) Mr. Albert, Mr. Chambers, Mr. Billerman, and freshman Bozek Kaszuba stand proudly sporting pants.

For hundreds of years, one aspect of western fashion for men has remained virtually unchanged – pants. The professional business world is filled almost exclusively with people wearing pants, and if that is not enough, they keep your legs warm in the chilly autumn air. Next time you have to make a leg-wear decision, try pants; you might be impressed with the difference they make.

Don’t: “Sag”

Senior Quinn Corcoran shows off his butt to everyone because of his saggy pants.
Jack Rodgers
Senior Quinn Corcoran exposes the problem with saggy pants.

Now that you have discovered the pants, it’s time for you to discover the belt. York is a place of decency; keep your underwear far out of your classmates view. The solution is to simply get pants with a well-fitted waist or use a belt.

Do: Flannels  

A strong collection of flannels is a must for any high school student.
Quinn Corcoran

One staple of fall fashion that every guy should have is the flannel. It can be found in many colors, but red is a fall favorite.

Don’t: Wear your P.J.s to school

Senior Quinn Corcoran looks like he just woke up.
Jack Rodgers

If you are in class and you realize that you didn’t change your clothes from last night, you have failed at fashion.

Every morning is a beautiful opportunity to express yourself using the clothes you wear; wearing pajamas expresses that you would rather still be unconscious than here. While even if that is true, it is a thought best kept to yourself. Don’t wear pajamas to school.

Do: Boots

These hip boots are just the thing to strut confidently through fall.
Quinn Corcoran

With snow and frost close on the horizon, investing in a fashionable comfortable pair of boots is always a good idea. Maybe it’s a pair of Tims or something more of the hipster variety, but whatever your style, you’re going to want to get your hands on a pair for this fall and winter.

And there you have it, the absolute do’s and don’ts of men’s of fall and winter fashion. If you tune your wardrobe to these simple rules, your fall is sure to be sweeter than pumpkin pie.