Is the color black truly a school color?

As some of us rifle through our endless arrangements of York spirit wear, we see many things: the shirts, the sweatshirts, the pants, the shorts, the hats, the gloves. And in doing this, three distinct colors usually represent that apparel: kelly green, white, and black.

Shirts in kelly green with black lettering, white shirts with kelly green lettering, or black shirts with white lettering. The options are numerous.

However, one of these colors has sparked a small controversy. Some people are questioning whether or not this color truly represents York’s pride: black.

Most everyone would agree that kelly green and white are two of York’s colors, but what about the third color? Is black truly one of York’s school colors?

Different voices around York seem to have differing opinions when it comes to representing the Duke pride.

“I do [think that black is a school color] because we will have blackout-themed games, and I have a ton of black York shirts and spirit wear,” said Abby Solem, senior.

Solem is not the only one who agrees that black spirit wear is plentiful at York.  

“I do think that [black is a school color] because that is the color of literally all of the York shirts that I own,” said sophomore Laura Hyink.

It’s not only Hyink who sees the color black as an important asset to York’s colors.

“Wherever you see our kelly green, you see the colors black and white, too,” said Leci Thomas, sophomore.

One simple look down a hallway at York, and you are bound to see York being represented by the color black. Just because you see black, however, it doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone is on board with it being an official school color.

Not every student sees black playing a big role at York.

“[Our school colors] are only green and white, said Molly Mayfield, junior.

“I don’t think [that black is a school color]. When my mom was assistant coaching badminton [at York] the coach wouldn’t let her put black in the team t-shirt because it wasn’t one of York’s colors,” said sophomore Danielle Fite. “Also, I’m pretty sure the fight song says green and white, and basically all schools have only two colors.”

The administration also has a  strong belief on York’s true colors.

“Our school colors are kelly and white,” said Rob Wagner, Athletic Director.  “I am a big believer in tradition. I have always felt that our school colors are kelly and white, and we should follow that for everything that we do.”

Because of the fact that black is a debated color, the Athletic Department is making a push to eliminate the color black from sports team’s uniforms.

“In between my time of being athletic director, we have had some black uniforms that have been allowed, [but] I just don’t think it looks like our school,” said Wagner.

To combat this problem, when it is a certain team’s time to get new uniforms, the Athletic Department is trying to eliminate black from the equation.

The new uniforms teams receive will consist of the least amount of black as possible in an attempt to let what the administration sees as “York’s true colors” shine through.

It’s not only the Administration that feels that black is not a school color, some students also don’t see the point of the color black at York.

There seem to be many mixed opinions about what colors truly represent York.

Some believe that our only true colors are kelly green and white. Black is just a filler color.

Others take the stance that black is a color that represents York. We see it covering our spirit wear, we see as themes for athletic events, and we even see it on our own mascot.

The debate about York’s true colors is really not one with a “right answer”. It falls under the preference of the individual. Some see the color black as a great addition to York’s kelly green and white, whereas others see it as a hindrance.

Although the Athletic Department may have the power to make changes to sports team’s uniforms, it is really up to the individual to decide how they’re going to represent the York Duke pride.