York prepares for upcoming FCCLA competitions

Senior+Richard+Incandela+practices+for+the+upcoming+FCCLA+competeion.+

Matt Carbone

Senior Richard Incandela practices for the upcoming FCCLA competeion.

In January and February, York students associated with the FCCLA program will begin competitions at College of Du page for culinary events and Robert Morris College for other various events. York has a knack for creativity and that is especially shown when it comes to generating brilliant new ideas. FCCLA is a program in which students enter into specialty competitions in order to win prizes, experiences, and a chance to gain school-wide glory. There are a wide variety of events from fashion to business plan presentations and even culinary events.  Each student is judged at the competition and is given an overall score. Once they receive their score, they then move on in the competition.

York’s culinary team, known as “La Brigade”, participates every year. Each student on the team is in the Food and Restaurant Management program. The students have a passion for what they do and really give off a sense of pride about their craft.

“If you love to cook and love to show off or just do what you like to do, then that’s your club,” said senior Richard Incandela III. “Every club has something about it and that’s why people like it. I’m in FCCLA because I love food.”

York students learn by example. Sponsors of the club, Wendy Albert and Lindsey Goldsmith, are dedicated to the students and really push them to create new things outside their comfort zone. Albert and Goldsmith give honest and constructive feedback on student’s dishes to help them improve skills such as knife skills and plate presentation.

“The teachers and myself provided as much feedback as we possibly can during the judging time so they [students] can improve for the state competition,” said Lindsey Goldsmith FCS teacher at York. “We want to encourage students to feel confident and feel proud about what they accomplished.”

It all comes down to passion. The students want to move on to pursue the culinary arts in their future. Every experience they come across molds them into something greater than they themselves originally envisioned. Growth and experience are necessary in order to achieve their goals.

“I’m a sophomore, and it’s my second year in FCCLA,” said Kevin Homan. “What I like about it is that you get to put your heart and soul into what you create and then get to show it to other people. I think it’s really fun to see what others think.”

Students in the past have astounded the teachers by leaving lasting impressions. It gives them a sense of joy when they learn about their former students success in the culinary industry as well as in other careers inspired by FCCLA. Those former students have truly received and earned school-wide glory.

“We have students go on and win gold in Children’s Literature and Presentation. Some won the Most Outstanding Award, that is when students have the best project out of state and regional levels,” said Wendy Albert, Division Chair for Tech & Applied Arts. “We have also proudly had two former students go into nationals in one of the Star Culinary Events. One student went on to win a culinary event that was held in Chicago. Through that they had received a large amount of scholarship money towards Kendall College.”
Thanks to the FCCLA program, many passions of York alumni have turned into great careers and may turn current students’ passions into reality as well. Aspirations are given life when passion is guided by experienced mentors that are willing to use patience, feedback, and constructive criticism to help grow a student’s interests. Students can then accomplish great things and even inspire others while pursuing their own goals.

Senior Richard Incandela (left) and Foods teacher Wendy Albert (right) practicing for upcoming FCCLA competeition.
Senior Richard Incandela (left) and Foods teacher Wendy Albert (right) practicing for upcoming FCCLA competition.