Math lab returned to former glory

Students+working+in+the+math+lab.+

Matt Carbone

Students working in the math lab.

After a brief scare, the District has reallocated funds that will allow the math lab to operate both before and after school once again!

For over 30 years, the math lab has provided students with a level of support and commitment unparalleled by any other department at York. It is an invaluable resource for students and teachers alike: from encouraging students in their pursuit of rigorous, challenging math to connecting the various math curricula together and fostering collaboration among teachers – the math lab truly promotes an inspiring and unique environment.

“The math lab is the original academic resource for students at York. It has even been used as a model in other departments. However, I feel that it has been almost impossible to replicate,” said Principal Diana Smith.

In fact, the math lab was founded to commemorate Tucker Nelson, a wonderful teacher at York and the chairman of the Math Department for 26 years. It was Nelson who initiated the math lab’s idyllic and collaborative spirit.

A plaque, currently in the math lab, was created in his honor. It reads,

“This Lab, the inspiration of Mr. Nelson, is dedicated to furthering our students’ understanding and appreciation of mathematics.  Mr. Nelson will be remembered for his love of people, his enthusiasm for mathematics and for life, and his many contributions to York and the Elmhurst community.”

But to York’s dismay, the math lab was closed after school on Jan. 12.  Students had to either seek help from their teachers during the school day or visit the math lab during a free period.

The closure of the math lab was linked to the new teacher contract which took effect last November. It stipulated several budget cuts widespread throughout the District, including a lower rate of pay for teachers who staff the math lab after school. The District tries to allocate money to the numerous departments and organizations at York in a way that reflects the significance of the work that is done there.

Fortunately, the District has since realized the importance of the math lab and allocated funds that will enable teachers to staff the math lab after school.

“This miscommunication between York and the District has been resolved as of today. It is an enormous relief,” said Dr. Sue Brown, the Math Department Chair.