York’s Got Talent: Auditions

Students+on+the+Fine+Arts+Committee+judge+acts+for+the+upcoming+talent+show.+

Matt Carbone

Students on the Fine Arts Committee judge acts for the upcoming talent show.

On Jan. 25, York held talent show auditions in the orchestra room after school. Students trying out for the talent show were judged by York’s Fine Arts Committee instructed by music teacher Chris Gemkow.

Each student that tried out brought their own set of skills they have honed over a course of time, and now want to present it to the rest of the community at York.

We decided to ask some of these students how they felt about the tryout and get a sneak peek into what we will see at the actual talent show.

DeGuzman put together
“I was nervous,” said senior Alex DeGuzman who danced. “But every performance is a little nerve racking. If you just practice, you calm down and get used to it. Once you perform, all that stress goes away, and you think about how well you are going to perform. You have to think: if I were them, how could I grab the audience and take them into my world and show them what I got, instead of making a fool of myself.”
"We came out here as friends who like music. We left smiling and had fun and thats what matters," said sophomore Pamela Moore (right). "Just a little bit fun and alot bit life changing," said sophomore Kenndy Ruiz (left)
“We came out here as friends who like music,” said guitarist/singer Pamela Moore, sophomore. “We left smiling and had fun and that’s what matters,” said sophomore Pamela Moore (right).
“Just a little bit fun and a lot bit life changing,” said sophomore Kennedy Ruiz who played the piano and also sang (left).
"I feel good and we put in alot of hard work," said sophpmores Sydney Morenz (left). "We just picked the song and we did great for a last minute change," said sophomore Ally Ong (right).
“I feel good, and we put in a lot of hard work,” said sophomore Sydney Morenz, singer and pianist (left).
“We just picked the song, and we did great for a last minute change,” said sophomore Ally Ong, singer (right).
"I feel confident," said senior Kaitlyn Kunde. "I have been practicing karate for seven years and even though I didin't preform my whole act in frront of the judges I feel like I showed them enough to make them want to see the real thing."
“I feel confident,” said senior Kaitlyn Kunde, who showed off some of her karate moves. “I have been practicing karate for seven years, and even though I didn’t perform my whole act in front of the judges, I feel like I showed them enough to make them want to see the real thing.”
"They went good," said freshman LJ Galbo (right). "Way better than middle school when they had a PA system and a larger group of kids so its less pressure." "I thought it went well and the judges were friendly," said sophmore Chris Zeibert. (middle)
“They went good,” said freshman LJ Galbo who was the guitarist (right), “[It was] way better than middle school when they had a PA system and a larger group of kids, so it’s less pressure.”
“I thought it went well, and the judges were friendly,” said sophomore Chris Ziebert, lead vocalist (middle).
Chris Gemkow judges students trying out for the talent show.
Music teacher Chris Gemkow judges various acts trying out for the talent show.