FAW Dance Recital steals the show

Matt Carbone

Advanced dance students perform a piece to David Bowie’s ‘Fame’.

With FAW in full swing, the Fine Arts department continues its most anticipated week of the year with York’s Intermediate and Advanced Dance groups’ annual recital. This year’s theme was musicians of the past, and the performances included songs by John Lennon, Louis Armstrong, David Bowie, and more. Incorporating music, dance, and song into the overall performance, the recital was a huge success.

While students gathered in York’s black box theater, Anna Sapozhnikov, dance instructor at York, introduced the performance by explaining that at York there were four levels of classes in the Dance department: beginning, intermediate, and advanced, complemented by urban dance as well. Although this performance only included the Intermediate and Advanced Dance students, she encouraged all to come out to watch the other groups perform as well.

While preparing choreography for the recital, she aimed to include a variety of dance genres including ballet, modern, hip hop, freestyle, and jazz. The movements of the dancers were an emulation of the changes in the music.

Junior Chloe Burr, a member of Advanced Dance, felt as if the different genres really made an impact on the performance: “The different genres added a variety to the shows, making them more enjoyable to watch and perform because not everyone was doing the same thing. It made the shows look as fun as they were!”

While Intermediate and Advanced Dance students were the focus of the performance, two solo performances were featured as well; Darcy Kummerow danced an original piece and Kaitlin Cadagin sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow, a song made popular by Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz.

By the end of the performance, students were impressed and excited about the performance and the Dance Department. Chris Knudsen, senior, said, “As someone who isn’t generally a huge fan of dance, I found this performance to be a very enjoyable experience.”

As FAW continues, be on the lookout for more excellent performances by York’s Fine Arts Department.