York welcomes new APUSH teacher

This year, there was a shortage of one AP United States History (APUSH) teachers since Mrs. Turnbull is now the sole AP Psychology teacher. In order to fill this spot, Mr. Joshua Green has been hired to work alongside Mrs. Iverson to teach the APUSH classes.

A Chicago native, Green grew up in the Eldridge/ Schaumburg area. “I went to Streamwood High School,” said Green. “It’s not the best area in the world, but it’s sort of a good thing [because] I had to go through a bunch of garbage to get to where I’m at. That’s a good thing, character-wise.”

rsz_img_5046Green then when to Northern Illinois University for four years, majoring in history and getting his Teacher Certification. His reasoning for majoring in what he did originated in high school.

“I had a really amazing US History teacher junior year, when I took APUSH. Actually, up until then, through freshman and sophomore year, I didn’t care about history at all, not even a little bit. And for some reason [in] junior year AP US History, [my teacher] made fun of America, but in a good way. He was like ‘hey, don’t believe everything you hear,’ and then also highlighted what is awesome about America…he basically showed me that History doesn’t have one right answer. You can interpret it however you want, as long as you can prove– with evidence– the things you believe.”

Green first started teaching last year at Elgin and Streamwood High Schools, and moved to York this year.

“This is a fantastic school, and I’m sure everyone who comes here says that…it’s cliche and I don’t care, “ said Green. “They have an Olympic sized swimming pool, they have a print shop, there’s 3D printers…a courtyard, brand new buildings they spent $90 million on, a beautiful football area…like, three, four, five million gyms…you know, you don’t see a lot of those resources, and when you’re a teacher, you start to realize how valuable that is.”

Green has been welcomed to York with open arms, and found that teaching here has been a pleasant experience so far.

“It’s an excellent school, really. The students are very self motivated. I don’t really have to raise my voice ever, or try to convince students to [do work]…they want to do well in school. It’s something they were brought up with.”
Green cannot wait to see where the rest of the school year and his career at York takes him. So if you see him in the hallway, say hello and welcome to York.