York honors Coach Newton’s legacy

The 50-60's display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.
Isabelle Downey
The 50-60’s display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.

After dedicating 60 years of his life to coaching York Boys Cross Country, students, staff, family, friends and alumni honored Coach Joe Newton for his great achievements and phenomenal coaching career. The celebration was held on Sun. Nov. 6 in the Field House along with displays, which included pictures, trophies, and plaques, in the Dick Campbell gym. Speeches were given by Coach Newton’s friends, family, coworkers, and past students reminiscing about their greatest memories with Coach Newton and honoring him. 

Rob Wagner, athletic director, honored Coach Newton by not only sharing some of his favorite memories about him, but by presenting him with the first Lifetime Appreciation Award. Along with this award, Kathy Wilson of the York High School Alumni Association, awarded Coach Newton with an Honorary Alumni Status.

The 90's display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.
Isabelle Downey
The 90’s display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.

Remarks were given by Craig Anderson of the IHSA, Mayor Steve Morley, York Alumni Lee Daniels and Al Janulis, and nationally recognized coach Jon Hemmer. Every speaker spoke very highly of Coach Newton and his accomplishments.

“If you were walking down the hall by yourself and Coach Newton is coming the other way, there was barely enough room for you to get by,” said Mayor, and York graduate, Steve Morley. “That’s what I mean by aura in your presence, that’s what this man has.” 

Tom Newton, son of Joe Newton, honored his father by announcing a new scholarship founded in his [Coach Newton’s] name. The scholarship is given

The 80's display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.
Isabelle Downey
The 80’s display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.

to young males who had been on either the cross country or track team at York High School, the scholarship will be housed and administered by the DuPage Foundation. Tom Newton also reminisced about what his father means to him.

The 70's display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.
Isabelle Downey
The 70’s display set up for Coach Newton in the Dick Campbell gym.

“I thought about my dad’s legacy and what he has taught others, and given over his 60 year career, he taught that it’s nice to be great but far greater to be nice,” said Tom Newton. “He taught us that winning isn’t just a sometimes thing, it’s an all the time thing.”

Coach Newton ended the ceremony with a reflection of his coaching career. He briefly spoke about some of his favorite coaching moments.

“I loved my job,” said Coach Newton. “How many people can say they loved their job? Everyday I could hardly wait to get to York to start yellin’ at some guy. I loved my job.”