Students helping students

Students help each other study. Photo Courtest of Google Images

The Peer Tutoring Center, a new addition to the Learning Commons, was created at the end of the 2015-2016 school year to provide academic support for students from other students.

Originally, students could only seek help from teachers who are available during each period of the school day and after school, but now with the peer tutoring programs, students are encouraged able to receive academic support from both teachers and peers.

Mr. Immel, the Learning Commons department chair, is new to York this year and has helped the tutoring program take shape into what it is today.

“We want to meet students where they’re at,” said Immel. “If they prefer to meet with a fellow student to get extra help, we can make that happen. If they would rather receive help from a teacher, we can arrange something for that, too. The goal of the tutoring center is to make students as comfortable as possible their first time coming in. We want to make that first experience a good one, so kids will continue to come back for help.”

With these efforts to create the best learning environment possible for all students, an overwhelming amount of students have already signed up to receive extra help from their peers.

So far this year, over 1,000 kids have signed up to receive extra help using a Google form on the Learning Commons home page.   

Sophomore Max Bar happened to be in the Learning Commons doing math homework when he stumbled upon the Peer Tutoring Center.

“I was in the Learning Commons and needed help with math,” said Barr. “So, I went to a math peer tutor, a sophomore by the name of Nick Ward. He was very helpful with geometry,”

In fact, 83 other students are signed up to be tutors throughout the school year.

Sophomore David Hansen also works as a peer tutor this year and is often available to help out fellow students.

“We provide help for any class that’s needed, and we have a large mix of people who are capable in a variety of classes; from my experience, science, math, and world languages seem to be the most common topics among the tutees,” said Hansen. “We encourage anyone to come in whether you want to be a tutor or tutee, our tutoring is free and is a great help for anyone struggling in a class.”

If a student is interested in becoming a tutor, all they have to do is email Mr. Immel and set up an appointment to receive training.

“The only expectations for tutors would be that their grades are up to par, and that they have some freetime to work with the schedules of their tutees,” Immel said.

The tutoring center shows its outreach throughout the whole school. It provides extra help for students to accomplish better grades in their classes, and it also creates a safe and comfortable learning environment for every student to succeed.