College & Career Day encourages students to be life ready

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Erin DeLuga

Close to 50 different professions were represented at the Career Fair in the York Commons. April 5, 2017.

Wednesday was a day of firsts for York. While the juniors took the first state-mandated SAT, freshmen and sophomores attended the school’s first official College and Career Day, at least in recent years.

Students began the day by taking surveys in which they reflected on future goals and considered ways to achieve them. Throughout the day, they participated in a variety of sessions, including three keynote addresses from local professionals and graduates, a session about post-graduate options, and a career fair in the York Commons created by York’s Counseling Department with assistance from York’s PTSA.

On Mar. 2, York sent an email to families asking for volunteers from different professions, noting, “We would love to highlight careers and businesses of York parents.”

Mrs. Heather Saylor, chair of the Counseling Department, who was the primary organizer of the event, followed up with an email to faculty, asking if they “knew someone who is dynamic and would like to interact with roughly 1,400 students in the span of 2.5 hours.”

The community responded, and students had the opportunity to meet with close to 50 different volunteers from a wide range of professions, including law, business, health and wellness, psychology, medicine, law enforcement,  education, athletics, military and trades.

Most students agreed that the career fair was the best part of their day. In fact, many wanted more time and space, so they could visit more tables and meet an even greater variety of professionals.

“I think for the future, increasing the amount of jobs present, time in the career fair, and moving it to the Field House would be a good idea,” sophomore Molly Grasse said. “I personally thought the career day should have been focused on that. I felt that I had the most meaningful interactions there.”

Students were not the only participants who could see the value in the event, which provided beneficial information and insight to students as they begin to move into their high school years.

“As a parent, as well as an employee, I feel that this type of information for our students is timely, relevant and crucial,” York staff member and parent Lori McGee said. “Whether a student is college bound or headed into a vocational, military or apprenticeship program, today was great.”

See the photo gallery below for highlights from the day.

York grad Ingrid Marcum (’93), an Olympian, fitness expert and lifetime athlete, explains Pillars of Success during the first keynote address of the day. April 5, 2017.

Students listen intently as Ingrid Marcum (’93) an Olympian, fitness expert and lifetime athlete, explains her Pillars for Success.

York grad Ingrid Marcum (’93), an Olympian, fitness expert and keynote speaker chats with freshman Rose Klinger. “She was really inspiring,” Klinger said. “She made me think that I should take more risks in my life, put myself out there a little more.” April 5, 2017.

College admissions advisers from Columbia College, University of Illinois and Xavier University, offer advice and answer questions. April 5, 2017.

Representatives from College of Dupage and skilled trade unions field questions from students.

Representatives from the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Marines respond to questions about the requirements to enter the different branches as well as their service experiences.

Sophomores seem to enjoy the Q & A session with military representatives. April 5, 2017.

Robert Klage, compehensive health & safety process manager for UPS and an English major who originally was hired to do public relations for the company, talks with sophomores about different job opportunites at UPS.  April 5. 2017.

Esther Mathunny and Jenny Yohannan, sophomores, discuss what it takes to become an EMT with Christel Watson and Barbara Klaas of Superior Ambulance in Elmhurst, which offers an EMT apprentice program free of charge. According to Klaas, they pay minimum wage to those who qualify to take the course. April 5, 2017.

Staff Sergeant Torres of the Melrose Park Army Recruitin Station trains Tex Stamatopoulos, sophomore, on how to do his best “Sgt. Torres-style push-up” during the Career Fair in the York Commons. April 5, 2017.

Sophomore Emily Orum enjoys petting Chopper the Rottweiler, a therapy dog from the Hinsdale Humane Society, who was rescued from a puppy mill. Kym Iffert, coordinator of volunteer services and obedience instructor, said the Hinsdale Human Society has two new programs in the works for volunteers under age 18.  April 5, 2017.

Photo courtesy of Heather Saylor
Phil Schwarz, ABC 7 meteorologist, and Elizabeth Pieroth, board certified neuropsychologist and associate director of the Sports Concussion Program at NorthShore University HealthSystem, delivered the keynote addresses in the final session. April 5, 2017.

Dr. Elizabeth Pieroth, board certified neuropsychologist and associate director of the Sports Concussion Program at NorthShore University HealthSystem, shares her story and advice with freshmen and sophomores during the final session of the day. April 5, 2017.

Photo courtesy of Kristen Bartholomew
ABC 7 meteorologist Phil Schwarz addresses students in the Green & White gym. April 5, 2017.

ABC 7 meteorologist Phil Schwarz, keynote speaker, not only gave students advice about college and a lesson in meteorology, but he also presented an abbreviated version of his signature weather forecast.

Stephen Chornij, freshman, celebrates winning a new iPad Mini Pro as part of the College & Career Day raffle. Students earned tickets for the raffle by asking questions and engaging in meaningful conversations with presenters.  April 5, 2017.