Eloise Hill and Kate Bigane perform Theyre Red Hot with the Choraliers Choir.
Eloise Hill and Kate Bigane perform “They’re Red Hot” with the Choraliers Choir.
Kathryn Brody

York is alive with the sounds of music in its annual Collage Concert

On October 27, the York Field House was filled with rows of white folding chairs, audio equipment and three stages. What was happening? It was time once more for the annual Collage Concert; a day where the entire Music and Performing Arts Department of York comes together to put on a show for the Elmhurst Community. All the bands, choirs, orchestras, along with Concert Dance, the Jazz Ensemble and music production students had the chance to share their talents. To call this a full house is an understatement! This Collage Concert was also the first to involve Jessica Hurt, the new principal. As a former “choir kid,” she was enthusiastic and eager to see what was being played.

“I really enjoyed seeing how cohesive the groups played and danced together in just a few short weeks,” Hurt said. “I loved the variety of musical genres, arrangements, and originality of the performances.”

Noley Hanna with the Dance Company’s rendition of “Cool Cats.” (Kate Brody)

This is also the first concert for the new Orchestra Director Julie Spring. A teacher for 10 years in Downers Grove, she has taken on this new job with passion.

“[The orchestra students] are all super friendly, nice and welcoming,” Spring said. “[They’re] very willing to do things in a different way than they have before, which I appreciate.”

She also looks forward to a good future at York including learning the ropes and practices of the school.

“[I look forward to] seeing the traditions here, and exploring them,” Spring said. “There’s a lot of very fun energy that I encounter everyday that I’m not used to. So, seeing what that looks like this year is what I am looking forward to.”

Among the performances was an original song called “Change Your Mind,” the music production entry. It was written by Charisse Campos and performed by “Dear Valentine,” a band composed of Campos, Lauren Capuno, Leah Thomas, Jade Connor and Andre Galvao. Campos, the writer, says the song can be interpreted in many different ways.

“Taking inspiration from ‘Japanese Breakfast’ and ‘The Linda Lindas,’ I wanted to write a song that talks about Asian hate,” Campos said. “I took my own personal experiences and conveyed them throughout the lyrics as I had to grow up with that discrimination.”

When asked what the most important part of the concert was, there were various answers. However, everyone went back to the same overall principle: artistic skill and expression.

“The most important part about the Collage Concert, in my opinion, is the fact that so many families and community members attended,” Principal Hurt said. “As a newcomer to York, it speaks to how much the community values performing arts. Our students have so many amazing talents and I am so glad that our community supports the arts.”

York’s Concert Orchestra violinists performing “Choreography, Dance #3.” (Kate Brody)

Campos had a different yet similar answer.

“I think the most important part of this concert is to share music,” Campos said. “Music has a way of making people feel things, and sometimes people can’t put into words how they feel, but music makes that possible.”

For years and years the Collage Concert has acted as a way to connect all of the performing arts at York. Students look forward to continuing this tradition and the lessons they can take away from it.

“The Collage Concert is a great way for people to see all the different ways they can express themselves,” Campos said. “And I think the ability to express yourself is a powerful thing.”