The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

York Dance Program inspires audience with a moving performance

Kate Brody
Senior Giovanni Santoro dances in the final group number “Sweet Dreams.”

York Dance Program presented their annual dance concert on Nov. 16 in the black box dance studio. Under the direction of Michelle Jensen, the students in the program showcased their creative talents in dancing through movement and story-telling.

With a total of seven live pieces performed by Concert Dance, York Dance Company and Dance 2, the performers inspired audience members with moving choreography and portrayals. Choreographers Dawson Dettman, Aidan Espinosa, Erin Pahl and Noley Hanna created a variety of performances ranging in styles as well as in stories. The program utilized different light features, costumes, props and music while incorporating members of the band. Jensen, director of the York Dance Program, enjoys many aspects of putting the show together. 

“There’s so many moments where it’s so great to see the students’ work come to life and have them be able to express their own ideas,” Jensen said. “I love it because we spend so much time together in the studio while in the creative process and seeing the finished product is such a unique experience.”

The dance concert also projected additional performances in between the live pieces, which allowed the audience to truly experience all the creative aspects that were formulated by the students.

“We had so much fun reconceptualizing dances that are meant for film or inspired by film,” Jensen said. “I taught the choreography, but the students were definitely a part of the creative process on how we wanted to film the piece.”

Junior Alexa Klein and members of the small group piece “La leçon particulière” tell a story through movement. (Kate Brody)

Senior choreographer Noley Hanna has been dedicated to the program since her freshman year. Hanna had the opportunity to choreograph a small group piece “La leçon particulière,” which utilized chairs and bold red gloves. 

“I took a lot of inspiration from Ms. Jensen when choreographing my piece,” Hanna said. “I’ve been with her for all four years and I’ve learned so much from her choreography and how she changes stuff if people don’t get it and makes it more complicated if we are getting it and that’s what inspired me to choreograph originally.”

Junior Brooklyn Nuss and Senior Elizabeth Kramer dance their duet to “Build a Home” choreographed by Erin Paul (Kate Brody)

Erin Pah, fellow senior choreographer, made similar contributions to this year’s concert. Pahl created a duet to The Cinematic Orchestra’s To “Build A Home” which was performed by her junior Brooklyn Nuss and senior Elizabeth Kramer. Pahl, a long-standing member of the dance company, was also featured in numerous pieces choreographed by Jensen.

“My favorite aspect of the program is how everyone is so kind and so dedicated. No matter who you find in the program, everyone is always so willing to dance,” Pahl said. “No matter what ability level they are at, they are ready to come in, learn, get better, and just create good pieces.”

After the recent passing of a York Dance Program member, the entire community has come together to mourn the loss of a significant person. Jensen, as well as many students, felt inspired when performing a specific piece that reflected the saddening loss.

“For the last piece, my intention was to have a more meditative work,” Jensen said. “I think it fits in really well with our grieving process over the loss of someone who is really important to our program, so there was kind of a therapeutic experience through that.”

Through all the dedication and hard work, Jensen and the performers hope the audience felt touched by the performance and can be able to connect to it individually. 

“I hope the audience walks away with some spark of curiosity, appreciation, or how captivating everyone is in the performance,” Jensen said. “I just hope the audience takes away one little piece that lingers or is left with something still simmering, maybe for the next few days, because it shouldn’t end right when the show ends.”