The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

Read and review: Our take on York’s most checked out books

Here are some stark and honest reviews of the most popular books checked out at the York library
A+student+chooses+between+two+of+the+most+popular+books+to+check+out.+
Julia Allie
A student chooses between two of the most popular books to check out.

“Girl in Pieces” by Kathleen Glasgow is a raw and gritty story that will have you reaching for the tissues one moment, and holding your breath the next. The story covers the life of a girl who has been placed in a mental hospital, and brings up a variety of heavy topics regarding mental stability and trauma. Because of this, I would recommend looking into content warnings before reading. Content warnings aside, this book presents a raw and authentic story of a girl who is looking for her place in the world, just trying to let her words and voice be heard through her writing. It may resonate deeply for many, as you feel you are immersed in the main character’s mind while reading. “Girl in Pieces” is a book that’s perfect for anyone looking to bond with a complex character presenting a realistic and touching representation of the struggles that struggling with mental health may relate to.

Electric, passionate, and colorful. These words only begin to describe the rush of simultaneous nostalgia and excitement you’ll get when reading “Daisy Jones and the Six” by Taylor Jenkins Reid. The story was published in 2019, yet makes you feel like you really were a rockstar of the 60s. Reid takes you on a journey with her main character Daisy, along with her bandmates and close ones, through a script-like writing style that allows the reader to submerge themselves in the story of a band reaching unfathomable levels of fame and recognition. Not only that, but you can listen to the band’s songs on Spotify while reading. Talk about immersion! This is not just a story of the glamorous life of a musical sensation, but a fictional anecdote on heartbreak, coming of age, and grief. From what goes on backstage during the most important concert of their career to the ups and downs of each band member’s personal lives, “Daisy Jones and the Six” will grab you by the shoulders and shake you to your core with its relatable storytelling combined with the magic of the 60s.

iCarly is one of the most beloved kids TV shows to date. Yet, the show’s innocence and lighthearted humor does not uphold behind the scenes. “I’m Glad My Mom Died” by Jennette McCurdy, otherwise known as “Sam” from iCarly, tells the story of McCurdy’s experience of a childhood star in sections: “before” her mother’s death, and “after”. Once again, I would recommend checking the content warnings before picking up this book. The memoir’s popularity did not come from McCurdy’s social status, although her fame is often what solidifies her narrative of trauma and hardships. What caused this story to reach such high levels of popularity is McCurdy’s untraditional approach at a memoir as a celebrity. The purpose of this book was not to describe a life of luxury and lavishness, but to reclaim her life as her own and share her experiences with others to destroy the cookie cutter image iCarly so desperately wanted whilst voicing her trauma after being silenced by those in power over McCurdy’s life for years. Although I am usually not a fan of nonfiction, “I’m Glad My Mom Died” was a one-sitting read for me, and will have a similar effect on readers looking to absorb a story both confidential and witty.

The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V.E. Schwabb, published in 2020, tells a captivating story of a young french woman who in 1714, in a moment of desperation, makes a deal with the devil that forces her to remain immortal. However, there is a catch- she is remembered by no one. Nearly 300 years later, we see her life in a modern day context, and as the book switches back and forth between centuries and continents, a story of self-discovery is revealed, as Addie grapples with the question of what it means to exist and be remembered in this world. This novel is an unforgettable reminder of the question that is constantly begged to all of us- how can we leave our mark on this world? If you take an interest in both modern fantasy and historical fiction catered towards a more mature audience, this is a great novel to read. Full of magic and heartbreak, this book is a page turner and will have you eager to know what’s next.

Published in 2019, A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson follows a 17-year-old named Pippa who dives into the murder of fellow high schooler Andie Bell, a case that occurred five years ago, for a school project. The case, before being closed, deemed Sal Singh, the boyfriend of Andie at the time, the killer however Pippa has her doubts. Additionally, Sal cannot be proven as guilty or innocent because of his apparent suicide. As she investigates, Pippa recruit’s Sal’s younger brother, Ravi Singh, to help distinguish the truth in the case as they both deny that Sal could be the perpetrator. This book is a rarity, one of those novels where you feel like you are a character in the story alongside the protagonists. While reading this book, I felt as if I was solving the murder along with Pippa and Ravi, and ended up being just as shocked-if not more- as the both of them. The story provides a wonderful escape into the world of fiction, conveying a thrilling suspense, one that lingers even after you turn the final page. Something to be derived from this case, was that not everyone is who they are made out to be. If you crave a shocking and unpredictable mystery, then this is perfect for you.

Madeline Miller’s novel Circe, published in 2018, is a collection of tales and myths that come together harmoniously to reinvent the beautiful story of the goddess Circe. Circe, daughter of Helios and Perse, is scorned and rejected by her family for all she lacks as a goddess. After falling in love with a mortal, she is desperate enough to experiment with a different and illicit type of power- potions and witchcraft- and through that she finds her ability to bend the world at her own will. In her quest to find her identity, she hones the power of her sorcery, learns to dabble with those who try to harm her, and wins the favor of one of the greatest warriors and the most respected yet feared god. She learns to love with innocence and eventually builds the courage to sacrifice herself to protect those she loves. This novel was hard to put down, as the author is extremely articulate and well crafted when it comes to conveying both the world and characters on the island of Aiaia. It was interesting to see Circe portrayed from a more human perspective, starkly displaying all her faults, woes, and dreams. The essence of humanity doubled with mythology creates a wonderful atmosphere, one definitely worth engaging in.