Devin and the Dogs from the 2023 Fine Arts Week York Live B section perform The Walk by Mayer Hawthorne with Devin Smego, Charlotte LaMonica, Justin Anderson, Alejandro Dominguez, Laney Toffler, Ben Metha, Payton Bryk, and Mark Shehan.
“Devin and the Dogs” from the 2023 Fine Arts Week York Live B section perform “The Walk” by Mayer Hawthorne with Devin Smego, Charlotte LaMonica, Justin Anderson, Alejandro Dominguez, Laney Toffler, Ben Metha, Payton Bryk, and Mark Shehan.
Kate Brody

Fine Arts Week Committee prepares for another week of live talent and passion at York

Fine Arts Week is one of the few weeks out of the school year where students are encouraged to showcase their talents to their peers and where audiences can enjoy these breathtaking performances in place of their typical classes (free of charge!). Yet, it begs to ask the question: other than getting to sit in an auditorium instead of a classroom, what really is important about Fine Arts Week?

Charisse Campos, senior at York and member of the Fine Arts Week Committee, feels Fine Arts Week is important because it provides a unique chance for people to show their true selves.

“The purpose of Fine Arts Week is to share the fine arts, even the ones that aren’t as talked about,” said Campos. “Performing in Fine Arts Week is special because you really get to see people come out of their shells and perform, which is always great to see.”

Not only are people able to learn and grow from the opportunities Fine Arts Week provides, but they can also share what they love and what they believe in by connecting with a crowd.

“It’s always interesting to see the acts and how people are putting themselves out there,” said Campos. “It’s not a talent show, but there’s so much talent in the school that not a lot of people know about until they perform for Fine Arts Week. It’s important because you get to express yourself in different ways, and the ability to express yourself is powerful.”

Chris Gemkow, sponsor and music teacher, believes Fine Arts Week is a special way for artists to explore their passions and also a once-in-a lifetime opportunity for students.

“What’s valuable about Fine Arts Week is that somebody who hasn’t put themselves out there yet can audition and share their talent with the world in a really meaningful way,” Gemkow said. “You spend your whole life as an artist trying to get people’s attention, and with Fine Arts Week, you have the opportunity to demonstrate what you’re passionate about. It’s a much more refined, rehearsed, and personal setup than a lot of students are used to. Most people aren’t able to get that feeling ever again, where they can perform something they created and have hundreds of people sit and listen.”

Although music is typically what comes to mind when thinking about Fine Arts Week, any student, no matter how niche their talent, gets the chance to flaunt their skills. Not only does Fine Arts Week bring light to students at York, but also to those who have years of experience and knowledge in the arts.

“You spend your whole life as an artist trying to get people’s attention, and Fine Arts Week gives you the opportunity to knock it out of the park,” said Gemkow. “Whatever it is that person does and is passionate about is welcome. Every year, it’s something different. It could be comedy, it could be dance, it could be music. We have a chance to bring in special guests or musicians who graduated from York, and there’s always so many opportunities for people to be inspired by other people’s stories. Fine Arts Week is a reminder that, although your classes are important, living life is where art really exists.”