Record club members, talking, eating and listening to music on the morning of Sep 13, 2024, in Room A155. “It’s a really great place to hangout with your friends and listen to music,” said freshman Olivia Bricker. “I get to listen to new genres of music that I normally wouldn’t which is cool.”
Orjona Bandula
Categories:

Record club making space for music to be appreciated

Some people might think that students in record club are making records on Friday mornings in Room A155. As interesting as this may sound to some people, that’s not exactly what the club entails. York has a large selection of clubs to choose from and join. Anyone can find a club that caters to them, their hobbies, and interests. By joining a club, you can meet new friends and have experiences that you wouldn’t have had otherwise while being part of the greater community. One of these clubs is record club.

Despite having an Instagram account and attending the club fair, the club still has a low number of members. record club is hosted by Chris Gemkow, York’s music teacher. This club focuses on having a calm space to bring in vinyls that students may own, talk about music, eat donuts and the rare experience of going to concerts as a group of students. While many don’t know about this club, it is a unique organization that caters to many different students. Jack Bricker, a senior, has been a part of record club since his freshman year. He is now on the board of members.

“I run the social media with Charlotte Lamonica and I would say record club has definitely been one of my favorite parts of York. I get to enjoy my Friday mornings by eating a donut,” Bricker said. “Going to see artists perform live with my friends is definitely an experience I love. It’s a good community to make friends and connections.”

As well as social media managers, they also have a president of the club. As president, senior Devin Smego is in charge of finding the concerts to attend as well as making sure the club runs smoothly.

“Record Club is an awesome community and space where all different types of kids get to meet and talk about music,” Smego said. “It’s really cool because you get to meet and talk to different people.”

Gemkow, teaching guitar, piano and among other classes, has been an avid force in making a space for music to be heard. While many do not know about this club and what it entails, he hopes to shed light on their musical Friday mornings.

“Record club is the best way to start my Friday morning,” Gemkow said. “With a great group of people, good conversation, and great music. It’s just a loose, casual, environment for people to hangout and get to know each other. There’s no expectations other than to just come and hangout.”