New course offerings 2015-2016

As with every other year, 2015-2016 will be bringing York some fresh course offerings.  With the most changes, the P.E. department will be adding three new classes: Lifesaving/WSI (Water Safety Instruction) Certification and Lap Swim, Advanced Strength Training, and Advanced Yoga with Self Defense.  The WSI training class is offered through the Elmhurst Park District for one hundred dollars, but with the new class, students will instead be able to take it at York for 35 dollars.

“WSI certification trains students to teach water safety, including the Basic Water Rescue and Personal Water Safety courses; six levels of Learn-to-Swim; three levels of Preschool Aquatics; and two levels of Parent and Child Aquatics,” the course offering booklet said.

If you are looking to teach aquatic lessons or get requirements out of the way, this class is a perfect platform to do so. This course is available to juniors and seniors who have taken PE-9 and passed a pre-swim test.

Next, Advanced Yoga and Self Defense introduces a new version of Yoga Fitness, but with more challenging yoga techniques.  This class also includes days with self defense instruction. In order to take this class, a student must have taken one semester of Yoga Fitness, and be either a junior or senior.  Students may not waiver out of this class.

Finally, Advanced Strength Training is a new course being offered next year. This course is designed to help students learn how to lift and target muscle groups, and how to prevent injuries when working out.

“Advanced strength training is designed for the junior and/or senior who plans to participate in one or more sports or for individuals who are recommended by their previous PE Instructor,“  the course booklet said.