York students attend eighth annual Elmhurst College governmental forum

On Thursday May 9, a select group of York seniors attended the Eighth Annual Elmhurst College Governmental Forum, which took place at Drury Lane Theatre and Conference Center in Oak Brook.

The event was titled “America’s Challenges: At Home and Abroad,” and featured a discussion and question-and-answer session between U.S. Senator Mark Kirk (R-Illinois) and Bruce Dold, the Editorial Page Editor for the Chicago Tribune.

The 12 York Seniors who attended the event were all nominees for the Social Studies Department award, and were nominated by teachers this year.

Students asked questions on issues ranging from the Patriot Act, Citizens United and campaign finance reform, and multiple foreign policy topics.

Alec Kramer, senior, provided some positive thoughts after the event.

“It was a fantastic opportunity that provided me with a better understanding of domestic and international affairs,” he said.

The students and teachers were able to meet Senator Kirk and take some pictures after the discussion.

Kramer said doing so “helped humanize the political system.”

Isabella Jaeger, senior, said the Senator’s “wittiness and comical remarks made the event even better.”

Overall, the group of students who attended were all fascinated and enlightened by the opportunity to meet a U.S. Senator and listen to a very insightful discussion.

Jaeger summed up the thoughts of everyone, saying, “I loved hearing Senator Kirk speak about his opinions on not only state-wide issues but global ones as well.”