Gardening and Ghosts

Wilder Mansion located in the center of Elmhurst.

Photo Courtesy of Wiki info

The Wilder Mansion and Conservatory, located in the heart of Elmhurst, is a beautiful space to visit year round. Even during the dreary days of winter, people can visit the conservatory. It’s open to anyone who’s longing to take time to stop and smell the roses (and many other beautifully arranged flowers and plants). It’s the perfect place for students to take pictures for occasions due to the greenery and clean, white background of the mansion. However, the property also has some eerie qualities.

In 1868, Seth Wadham bought the property now Wilder Park and built his home and the first ever greenhouse on that land. He built the greenhouse for his wife to help her overcome her grief over the death of their son.

“The mansion over here was originally (the Wadham’s) summer cottage,” said David Price, a horticulturalist at the Wilder Park Conservatory. “Elmhurst was very well to do during this time. They came out here full time after their house was burned down in the Chicago fire.”

Sometime after the remodeling and additions had taken place and the Wilder Mansion was established as a library, people started hearing reports of a “mischievous spirit”. There were claims of books and other t

Photo by Megan Schlief
Flowers at the Wilder Park Conservatory

hings moving without explanation.

“You know he’s still over there too don’t ya?,” said Dale McMahon, another horticulturalist at the conservatory, about the tale that Thomas E. Wilder is still haunting the Wilder Mansion. “Somebody’s over there up in the attic.This mansions on one of the ghost tours in Chicago.”

Dale McMahon recounts his experiencewith the Wilder Mansion Ghost.

“I’ve been out there plowing snow at two o’clock in the morning and I’ve seen him,” said McMahon.

Despite the paranormal activity, the mansion and conservatory are beautiful backdrops for student’s pictures. York students gather together to take pictures every year before events such as homecoming, prom, and graduation.

The proximity to York is very helpful so that students are able to go from taking pictures to the dance as quickly as possible. The white color of the house and well kept plants make for a clean background to complement the student’s dresswear.

“I feel what’s best about the mansion is the location,” said senior, Stephenie Tompos, about why she chose to take pictures at the Wilder Mansion. “It is in the center of Elmhurst so everyone can easily meet there from home, and since York is so close, it is easy to take pictures in a very large, beautiful scenery then straight to the school. Aside from the mansion, the garden next to it is very popular for pictures since it is so pretty, so those two go hand in hand.”

Along with the beautiful mansion and surrounding outdoor gardens, The Wilder Park Conservatory puts on beautiful flower shows every season.The park recently hosted a mums flower show from November 4-26. The colors worked beautifully for fall and the Thanksgiving season.This month, the conservatory will present a holiday flower show from December 2- January 7.

Everyone can take a break from the holiday chaos to destress and enjoy the spring-like warmth and beautiful flowers.