Students channel their inner Van Gogh at the York High School’s 47th Annual Winter Art Show

What went down in the York Commons earlier this month was definitely uncommon.

For just a few days during each semester, you can catch a glimpse of the heart and soul that York students poured onto their canvases.  Whether you’re dazzled by the gleaming jewelry that sits inside the glass cases or you’re in awe by the strokes of acrylic paint that hang on the walls, there’s no doubt about it that York’s biennial art show is by far one of the most exciting and anticipated events of the year.

“I love seeing all of the pieces come together, like all the different art from all the art classes in one place and seeing it all in one spot,” said art teacher Renee Kuharchuk. “I was so excited to see that we have a lot more 3-D AP Art students. The last time we had a 3-D AP Art student was six years ago, when I first started here.”

Photo by Nate Swanson
Senior Laura Keenan, one of the few 3-D AP Art students, puts her award-winning sculptures on display.

Some notable artists featured in this showcase were Katharine Bartosz, who placed third in show for her fantasy inspired paintings, Tessa Vermeulen, second place holder for her music-inspired paintings, and Best in Show award winner, This Is York’s very own Nate Swanson, whose photography series was deemed worthy of first place.

“I was pretty surprised when I saw that I was best in show. There’s so many talented people in this art show, and especially in AP art,” said Swanson.

Photo by Eileen King
Senior Nate Swanson holds up his Best in Show frame for his digital photography.

Needless to say, the fine arts programs offered at York have allowed students to go from rookie visionaries to brilliant artists. Without the photography courses at York, Swanson wouldn’t be as talented of a photographer as he is today.

“Freshman year I took my first photography class and I didn’t win any awards at all at the art show, so I just thought ‘what’s the point of this? I’m not being awarded for my stuff,’” said Swanson. “But then I continued on taking more photography classes throughout my years at York, and I realized I wanted to continue on with it. I think that’s what got me to this point.”

Weather it’s jewelry, graphic arts or digital photography, there’s an art class offered at York that can fit your interest. If you’re ever in need of inspiration, taking a stroll through any of York’s fine art shows are the perfect place to go.

Congratulations to the top ten Best in Show award winners!

Best in Show: Nate Swanson, Senior

2nd Place: Tessa Vermeulen, Senior

3rd Place: Katharine Bartosz, Senior

4th Place: Laura Keenan, Senior

5th Place: Isabella Filosa, Junior

6th Place: Hannah Graber, Junior

7th Place: Oscar Sanchez, Sophomore

8th Place: Nick Neeley, Senior

9th Place: Audrey Kaczmarek, Junior

10th Place: Reilly Winters, Senior