Under the Monocle: Sue Gehrke knows advertising never goes out of style

Photo Courtesy of The Norton Agency

Sue Gehrke in her first office as a creative writer.

If somebody asked you in high school what you wanted to do for the rest of your life what would say? Odds are you have no idea, but Sue Gehrke knew it was advertising, and today it still is.

Today Gehrke runs an advertising agency, where her job is to write copy for various types of advertising pieces like digital, tv, and paper.

As a junior at Willowbrook High School, Gehrke knew she wanted to be a creative writer. Being the editor in chief of her own high school’s newspaper inspired her to pursue media, and advertising through college.

“I have known since high school that I wanted to do advertising,” Gehrke said. “I always thought it was the perfect mix of business and art, which are two of my favorite things.”

Three years after her first job Gehrke set out to open her own agency, a dream she had always had. While starting any new business can be nerve racking, Gehrke didn’t have any fears going into it, she was confident and determined to get the business off the ground.

“I was so young when I started the business that I wasn’t worried how long it would take for the business to get started,” Gehrke said.

Her creativity and work ethic in the office definitely don’t go unnoticed. Her colleagues are amazed by the great pieces she created.

“She is great at her job, I have never seen anybody else take simple words, and concepts and make them into whole new ideas,” Mike LoPiano, Partner, and Executive Director of Strategy & Planning said.

After almost 30 years in the business, Gerke still enjoys everyday at the office. Each day is new chance for her to make simple words into a masterpiece.

“Pick something you love because that makes everyday enjoyable. If you don’t love it, it makes it hard to do it for years and years,” Gehrke said.