Students shave their heads to raise money for St. Baldricks

During the lunch periods today, students who had participated in the St. Baldricks campaign to raise money for cancer awareness shaved their heads. Students, teachers and parents sat atop a stage set up in the commons, where a hairdresser took a razor to their head and grazed off their hair while students gathered around to watch and cheer them on.

Photo by Nate Swanson
Senior Carter Strauss, who raised $1,435 for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, has his hair stripped away during fifth period in the commons. Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Nate Swanson
Steven Strauss, father of senior Carter Strauss, gives a grin of confidence as his head is shaved for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. He raised $3,920. Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Grace Tully
“My grandmothers passed away this December of cancer, so I’m doing it in memory of them this year,” said junior CJ Cote in regards to why he was shaving his head.” Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Julie Friedman
“It’s a great cause and it’s fun,” Social Studies Department Chair Mr. DiNovo said. “I’m a big believer in school spirit and this event blends it together.” Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Julie Friedman
“A lot of people are affected by cancer and my family has been affected as well,” junior Sannan Iqbal said. “I know people who are fighting cancer right now. I feel like it’s my obligation to do this.” Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Grace Tully
“It’s embarrassing because my hairline is really bad and my luscious curls are gone,” sophomore Joshua Mathiasen (right) said. “But I did it to support kids with cancer and stuff–I don’t really care how I look if it’s for charity.” Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Grace Tully
“I know what it’s like to have people in the hospital and I can’t imagine going through that with a child,” senior Erin Hastings said. “No one should have to go through that.” Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Nate Swanson
Spanish teacher Joseph O’Malley gives a reassuring smile to the audience during fifth period lunch as he has his head shaved. Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Nate Swanson
With a swift shave, junior Christian Pinta has long locks buzzed off. He raised $235 for St. Baldrick’s. Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Julie Friedman
“I wanted to help raise awareness and some money,” Computer science teacher Mr. Barnum said. “And it’s a great event.”
Photo by Julie Friedman
“I had relatives that had cancer,” sophomore Chris Eckard said. “I felt that I should do it for them.” Friday, Mar. 16, 2018.
Photo by Julie Friedman