THIS IS YORK

Filed under Features, Showcase

Best Buddies: making a difference one friend at a time

Seniors Nora O’Brien and Matthew Boxall spending time together at an after school meeting.

Photo Courtesy of Amy Burton

Photo Courtesy of Amy Burton

Throughout the 2017-18 school year, York’s chapter of Best Buddies has worked to spread kindness around the school with campaigns and fundraisers organized and run by members of the club.

Best Buddies pairs students with peer buddies or offers students the chance to just attend meetings and form friendships with everyone involved in the club. Students involve themselves and get to know others to spread the idea of kindness throughout the school.

Photo Courtesy of Amy Burton
Senior Alex Boxall with his peer buddy, sophomore Kol Rollins hanging out at a Best Buddies monthly meeting.

“Best Buddies was a very easy decision for me,” Nibia Joseph, senior, said. “I was a member of Circle of Friends all throughout high school, and Best Buddies is essentially, in my opinion, just a better version of that because of its one to one friendship component. When Mr. McGuire told me York would be making the transition from Circle of Friends to Best Buddies, I was beyond excited thinking of how much better of an experience students with and without intellectual and developmental delays would have in high school because of it.”

Photo Courtesy of Amy Burton
Seniors Katherine Spaeth and Natalie Riecker drawing faces on pumpkins at the Best Buddies Halloween party.

With the fundraisers and campaigns led by Best Buddies, students not involved in the club have had the chance to involve themselves with what the club stands for: kindness, genuine friendships, and opportunities for all.

“There are many opportunities to involve yourself with Best Buddies,” sophomore Ella Pittman said. “There is an annual Friendship walk for Best Buddies that York is participating in. The event takes place in May and York has created the team ‘Duke Buddies’ and we have already raised over $1,000. Another way you can get involved is attending our monthly meetings and parties, and also be involved in a buddy pair.”

The Best Buddies members made it their goal to spread kindness throughout York and did so by joining the ‘Spread the Word to End the Word’ campaign, selling bracelets and stickers, and encouraging all students to show kindness to everyone.

“Throughout the year we have many parties and fundraisers to help support Best Buddies,” Madison McGreal, sophomore, said. “Like selling stickers, being apart of the Spread the Word the End the Word campaign, and more.”

There are many ways to become involved in the York chapter of Best Buddies. Students can become a member, a peer buddy, or just support the club in their fundraisers and campaigns.

“The first way you could involve yourself is by becoming a member,” senior Lauren Gould said. “If you would like to take it a step further and dedicate more time, you can become a peer buddy and spend one-on-one time with a student who has developmental or physical disabilities. If joining the club altogether isn’t what you’re interested in, you can always come out to our fundraisers and join in on our pledges.”

About the Writer
Isabelle Downey, Y's Tales Editor-in-Chief

Isabelle Downey is a senior and has been on staff for the past three years. This year, she is the Editor-in-Chief of Y's Tales. She is involved in YTV,...

• Best Buddies: making a difference one friend at a time

Features

After the XC season is done, senior runners take on the 13.1

Features

Blurring the lines between a childhood love and a life-long passion

Features

Under the Monocle: Through Helen’s lens

Features

Vladislav Blaha pays a visit to York’s music department for the second time

Features

Senior Sarah May is an all-conference all-star

Features

Wise Duke Podcast Episode 3: Student Tips & Advice

Features

Empower gears up for an empowering year

Features

Common Apps and common stresses

Features

The spookiest ways to prepare for spooky month

Features

Devoted family and friends uphold Annie’s legacy

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF YORK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL