Student Spotlight: Lauren Vilips

York Community High School’s very own student, freshmen Lauren Vilips, landed a role in the new television series, “Family Values.” The show, filmed around the Chicagoland area, is centered around the Peterson family with the mom, Maggie Peterson, scrambling to get her life together after her husband left her and her three kids. Her parents have her move her childhood home with them, but she is forced to live with her older brother she doesn’t get along with.

York-hi sat down with Vilips to talk about her new exciting role.

YH: When did you know you wanted to be an actress?

LV: “When I was little, I always knew I wanted to perform. For years I tried to convinced my mom to get me into it. Then, in 2008 a friend of my mom wrote the film, “Go For It,” and casted me as an extra. The show went to a big movie festival in New York City, and I got to go to the premiere.”

YH: What do you enjoy about performing?

LV: “It’s fun to play something you’re not. I love how acting is a form of expression. I could do it all day. It’s my passion.”

YH: How did you find out about “Family Values”?

LV: “I got it by fluke. One day, I went in to get headshots with my sister, who’s also on the show with me, and the casting director told us that she is a part of a new film series about to film and wanted us to audition. She gave us scripts, and we auditioned.”

YH: What were your emotions before and after the audition?

LV: “The script was funny; it was so much fun to play around with it. Both my sister and I got the call the next day that we both got the parts. We were freaking out. I was in complete shock, jumping up and down screaming. It was so exciting.”

YH: What character do you play?

LV: “I play Kelly Malone. She is the typical mean and popular cheerleader in middle school. She gives Nikki Peterson, the daughter of Maggie Peterson, and Bethany, the eccentric neighbor, a hard time on the show.”

YH: What is the overall lesson in “Family Values”?

LV: “There are many lessons in the show. The ones that stand out most is for families to stick together through hard times and to make the best out of unfortunate situations in life.”

YH: Who is your role model in the acting industry?

LV: “Gina Rodriguez. She plays Jane on the new CW series “Jane the Virgin.” I met her when I was eight years old on the set of “Go For It.” She is so inspirational, and when we met she gave me great advice: to never stop chasing my dreams.”

YH: What advice would you give to a young actress?

LV: “Never give up. There is going to be a lot of rejection in this industry, but the success will be worth it.”

YH: What’s next for Lauren Vilips?

LV: “Long term goal: win an Emmy or Oscar. Short term goal: waiting to get my braces off.”

Check out “Family Values” on Facebook and IMDb for more information.