The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

Recognizing diversity within our student body

Kate Brody

“THE MISSION OF YORK HIGH SCHOOL – A PART OF ELMHURST COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT 205 – IS TO PROVIDE AN EDUCATION THAT ENABLES ALL STUDENTS TO BECOME LIFE-LONG LEARNERS WHO RESPECT THE DIVERSITY OF OTHERS.” 

Many schools strive to educate their students on other cultures and celebrate diversity within their own communities. Learning about things like inclusion and equity can help students become more considerate. A paper published in September of 2022 by the American Psychological Association outlines the importance of recognizing equity, diversity and inclusion in schools. Although York’s mission statement intends to educate students on diversity, is the diversity within our school truly represented? 

When questioning the equal representation of all students, it is important to note the proportions of diversity amongst the student body. In the 2021-22 school year, 69.2% of students at York High School were white, 19.3% Hispanic, 5.7% Asian, 3.9% Multiracial and 1.8% Black, according to York’s Illinois Report Card. Within these demographics, 5.7% of students are English Learners. While it is clear that white students make up the overwhelming majority of York’s population, it is not ethical to classify York as a ‘white School.’

The website Niche, a database that ranks schools based on a variety of criteria and student feedback, asks students to answer the question, “What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?” As of September 27th, 56 current and past students have responded to this question regarding York. 23% of students chose the phrase “upper middle class white kid.”

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common generalization made by York students, and it raises concern when defining the demographics of the student body. While this phrase may be used to represent a large portion of the school population, it creates a stigma that excludes a considerable amount of students. According to the Illinois report card for York Community High School, 15.6% of students are low income, while the US News & World Report estimates that there is a 31% minority enrollment. Though these numbers are low by state wide demographics, excluding these students when making a generalized statement about the school is unethical.

This isn’t to say that students and administrators are not working hard to flip this narrative. York is home to clubs and organizations founded with the mission of embracing individual cultures. For example, there are heritage events throughout the year and programs like Amigos Y Palabras that bring English learners and Spanish learners together. Despite advances in opportunities for equity and representation, these practices are not represented on an interpersonal level.

When students describe their school using rhetoric that excludes minority students, we create an environment that neglects already marginalized communities. The US Department of Education released a report in May of 2023 stating, ”Diverse schools benefit all students, helping to foster performance and success through improved academic achievement, social mobility, civic engagement, empathy, and understanding.” However, these principles will not come to fruition if we only recognize diversity when it’s showcased at lunchroom events.

York’s mission is to make all students feel represented, no matter the size of the demographic they are a part of. It is important that students recognize all of their peers, not just the members who fit into the largest demographic. This is a concept that all aspects of York media are embracing, and we hope that the student body follows suit. York’s diversity goes beyond percentages, and far beyond the limitations of characterizing students solely as “upper middle class white kids.” 

By taking the initiative to learn about under-represented groups, students are offered a holistic perspective of their community and the world around them. We, as a publication, recognize this, and pledge to utilize our platform to promote diversity by sharing stories that represent the school’s marginalized groups. If we dedicate ourselves to making York truly inclusive, we take a step closer towards becoming, “life-long learners who respect the diversity of others.”