York choir takes the stage

On Feb. 12, the York choral program held its annual February concert. The first formal music program concert of the semester, choir students and staff were excited to showcase the technique and repertoire all groups have been rehearsing in and outside of class.

All three class-based choirs (cadet, choraliers and concert) in addition to an audition-based and outside of class rehearsed a cappella choir participated in the performance. After a classical theme in the fall holiday theme in the winter concert, this performance focuses on contemporary folk music. The spring follows in with a musical theatre and pop theme.

Many students in the program say they love choir for the unique opportunity to bring individual voices together into one.

“When everyone comes together you all bring a unique voice and sound to the group. It’s powerful,” Kayla Cartwright, senior, said.

In addition to the community feel of these classes, students say they love concert nights that bring all the groups together.

“People are really great. Everyone is very talented and inviting,” Abbie Lockie, freshman, said.

After rehearsing for months every day in class, each group gets the chance to showcase their work. Great work to all four choirs and director Rebecca Marianetti.