Big Fish jumps off the big screen

The York Drama department presented the musical “Big Fish” from April 16 to 19 in the Baker Auditorium.

“Big Fish” is a drama based on the novel by Daniel Wallace, “Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions,” written in 1998, and the 2003 film adaptation directed by Tim Burton.

The film, starring Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, and Jessica Lange was nominated for many awards, including four Golden Globes and Oscar and Grammy nominations.

The story is told through flashbacks of salesman Edward Bloom, who has a habit of telling unrealistic stories to everyone, including his son, Will. Will has never felt like he could trust his father because he always thought that the fantasy-like stories were just lies.

After not speaking to his father for three years, Will returns when he learns that Edward is dying from cancer. Will demands that his father tells him the truth because he still does not believe that his stories actually happened.

Will eventually learns that Edward is simply a storyteller, and while he does exaggerate sometimes, there’s always some truth to his stories.

“Although we dive into material dealing with pain, forgiveness, and hurt, in the end, there is so much joy and so much realness to [Edward and Will’s] relationship,” said Rebecca Marianetti, director of “Big Fish.”

“Seeing a father and son embrace and understand each other, after 60 years of struggle, is beautiful.”

York’s production of “Big Fish” featured a wide range of student involvement. The cast was the biggest that the York Drama Department has seen, with over 100 students all together in the cast, set construction, and orchestra.

In the pit, students from York’s very own orchestra as well as some professional musicians performed music featured in the film.

The first time the orchestra and cast get together and run through the music for the show is called a sitzprobe, which many say is one of the most enjoyable parts of the production because it really comes to life.

“The pit is unbelievably talented, and I will admit I was moved to tears during one of the songs,” said Kirsten Mose, senior, who played Sandra in the musical.

“It’s very cool for each group to see what the other one has prepared, regardless of your position in the show,” said Hannah Widmaier, senior, who played the synthesizer in the orchestra pit. “I think your understanding of the music expands when you see all the parts working together.”

Overall, “Big Fish” is a story that can relate to an audience of all ages. Children enjoy the imaginative aspects of the musical, which features witches, giants, werewolves, and so forth.  Adults enjoy how the musical depicts a challenged relationship between a father and son.  There is something for everyone in “Big Fish.”

“The storytelling aspect is what moves the musical,” said Mckay Murphy, senior and student director of Big Fish. “The stories are so big, larger than life, and when it is put next to the real and current situations of Will and Edward’s life it makes the story so much more poignant and touching.”

So what’s next for seniors?

As the last production from the York Drama Department of the year, the seniors participating in “Big Fish” are focusing a lot on what they’re going to do after they graduate. Most of them are planning to stay involved in musical theater in some way.

“I actually plan on majoring in Neuroscience on a pre-med track…not exactly theater related,” said Mose. “I do, however, plan on participating in as much music and theater as I possibly can while I’m in college.”

While some of the graduating seniors are planning to just keep theater as something to do along side of their busy schedules, others plan to keep theater a big part of their lives.

“I have decided to major in musical theatre and pursue acting as a living. It is extremely exciting and I cannot see myself doing anything else,” said Zack Triska, senior, who played young Edward.