York goes Sharko fishing

Having graduated with the class of 2007, alumnus Benjamin Sharko has returned to York– this time as an English teacher.

“It was at York where my love for learning was fostered and my passion to become a teacher was further sparked; it was always a goal to teach at the school that gave me so much,” said English teacher Ben Sharko.

After graduating from York, Sharko went to Augustana College where he followed his dream of becoming a teacher.

“I had the most incredible four years there [Augustana College]…I met a ton of life-long friends — I even met my wife there, had many inspirational professors and coaches, and my passion for teaching was further sparked,” Sharko said.

Having obtained his bachelor degree in teaching, Sharko then went to Jacobs High School to begin his dream as a teacher.

“Prior to coming back to teach at York, I taught for four years at Jacobs High School in Algonquin, IL.,” Sharko said. “It was a great place to start my teaching career.”

Over the years, Sharko soon began to miss the school that inspired him to become a teacher, so he decided to return to York.

“I loved my four years at York as a student and always knew I wanted to come back to York and the Elmhurst community,” Sharko said.

Teaching has affected Sharko’s life in a positive way by connecting with students, allowing him to grow into a better person, and by becoming friends with many teachers and staff.

“Teaching has allowed me to grow both personally and professionally; each day I learn something new from other teachers and students,” Sharko said. “Teaching has made ‘working’ fun and something I look forward to doing every day.”