What’s your favorite Oreo?

We’ve all been faced with this dilemma before: you’re at your local Jewel-Osco, buying snacks for hanging out with your buddies later. You’re browsing the cookie aisle and arrive at the glorious Oreo section. You see 10 to 15 flavors of Oreos, all just calling your name. You think “Why does Nabisco need this much revenue? Some of these flavors don’t even make sense; they exist simply to make more money.”

Then comes the difficult part. Which flavor are you going to buy? The question might overwhelm you, causing you to curl up in a ball and start crying in the middle of the aisle… or you might take the coward’s way out and grab the box closest to you and buy it. Don’t worry, a solution to your Oreo dilemma has arrived. What you should do is read this amazing ranking of all Oreo flavors, from worst to best. These reviews are the product of a scientifically conducted taste test by the Advanced Journalism students as well as a survey sent out to over 200 York students.   

Aftre reading the results, you can make an informed purchase, and all of your friends will think you’re pretty neat.

In these reviews, we also asked people which Oreo they would live off of if they had to choose one, just to add a little flair to the reviews.

1. Birthday Cake Oreos

These are a disgrace to Oreos, and easily the worst flavor. The birthday cake creme tastes nothing like actual birthday cake and doesn’t go at all with the chocolate cookie. However, the taste isn’t even the worst part. As soon as you open the package, your whole room will reek of what smells like a cake that has been marinating in a sewer for a few weeks.

1. Salted Caramel Oreos

The salted caramel isn’t like other Oreos. Oreos are usually defined by the creme inside of them, but these Oreos seem to utilize the creme to enhance the flavor of the cookie. This literally tastes like the vanilla cookie, but with a little saltiness added. To many people, this tastes very weird, resulting in a low rating.

1. Heads or Tails Oreos

These Oreos seem like Nabisco was looking for a gimmick. The idea of one chocolate cookie and one vanilla cookie is supposed to combine the good parts of both chocolate and vanilla cookie, but let’s be honest, no one would choose these over original or golden Oreos.

1. Chocolate Oreos

Although chocolate is easily one of the most coveted sweets around the world, its lack of inspiration in the form of an Oreo makes for a low rating. Most people are more interested in the more abstract Oreos rather than a simple staple. In addition, the Oreo is essentially chocolate frosting on a chocolate cookie, so it doesn’t exactly scream “cool Oreo”.

“[I would live off of] chocolate because I am a huge fan of chocolate, and if I had only one type of food I could choose to eat for the rest of my life, the choice would undoubtedly be chocolate,”  freshman Jocelyn Hodge said. “So of course I would choose chocolate Oreos.”

1. Cinnamon Bun Oreos

I’m going to be honest here, I believe that these are incredibly underrated, even though the stats place them here. These Oreos are, in my opinion, almost superior to normal cinnamon buns. The cinnamon cookie on its own is superior to the normal vanilla cookie, and it somehow turns the normal vanilla creme into the frosting on cinnamon buns; and as if they couldn’t get any better, it goes incredibly together. This is just a casualty of people not knowing about many different kinds of Oreos. If you want to try a new, different flavor of Oreos, these are a must-buy.

“I would probably choose to live off of cinnamon bun Oreos,” freshman Jason Harris said. “Those things taste heavenly. Plus, if you try hard enough, you can make them double stuffed. Pure flavor.”

1. Vanilla Birthday Cake Oreos

When I first tried these, I expected them to be horrible like the normal birthday cake ones were. When I tried them, however, they were actually pretty good. Not the best flavor ever, mind you, but far superior to the normal birthday cake ones. This simply makes more sense, as birthday cakes use vanilla cake, not chocolate. The best part is that the smell doesn’t make you want to quarantine the room you’re in.

1. Red Velvet Oreos

This is a very funky flavor of Oreo. The cream cheese filling seems strange, and the red cookie would make most think that this isn’t made by Nabisco, but rather a random store-bought brand. Yet, somehow, it kind of worked. This Oreo is very rich, just like actual Red Velvet cake, so don’t expect to eat the entire package in 1 sitting. This seems to be a niche flavor of Oreo, but it does exactly what you expect from it.

“If I could live off one Oreo flavor for the rest of my life, it would have to be red velvet because it is the most healthy option out of all the Oreos, so I will get good nutrients and also because I’m extra,” an anonymous York student said.

1. Double Stuf Golden Oreos

You might’ve expected these to be above regular golden Oreos, but they simply aren’t as good or as classic. These are still great, of course, but the amount of pure vanilla in this cookie is overpowering at times, and they don’t bring back those fond memories of having golden Oreos as an after-school snack years ago. Unless you’re a big vanilla fan, just buy the classic golden.

1. Peanut Butter Oreos

Everyone seems to have varied opinions on these. To some, they taste very similar to Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. To others, they are a disgrace to the name of peanut butter. In my opinion, these can and will be enjoyed by most peanut butter fans. Also, many people enjoy looking at the nutritional value of these.

“Nutritiously, Oreos aren’t the healthiest, but if I had to live off of an Oreo for the rest of my life, I’d choose the peanut butter one,” freshman Adrian Zhuang said. “Unlike the rest of the Oreos, this one actually contains some nutritional value other than sugar. Of course, if I had to live off of this I’d obviously want it to be nutritious, and peanut butter contains good amounts of protein and could be pretty filling. In addition, the peanut butter is also calorie dense, packing a lot of energy into a small space, making it the ideal snack for when you’re in need of a small rush or just a bit hungry. Of course, this is all in my nutritional opinion, but if I were to live off of something I’d expect it to at least be nutritious, if you know what I mean.”

1. Golden Oreos

Golden Oreos are fantastic. The combo of vanilla cookie with vanilla creme was, and still is, a major success, as they are very flavorful, but not overpowering. These will always bring back those fond memories of being a little kid and begging your mom to buy these at the grocery store.

1. Lemon Oreos

These lemon Oreos are a home run by Nabisco. The vanilla cookie goes so well with the lemon filling, and it almost exactly replicates the taste of lemon cake. Not many people are big lemon fans nowadays, but the lemon fans that exist will be in heaven while eating these.

“If I could live off an Oreo for the rest of my life, it would be the lemon Oreos because they have a good level of lemony taste without being too overwhelming,” freshman Cadence Chalmers said.

1. Original Oreos

These are relatively self-explanatory. This delicious cookie and creme combo has been going strong for 106 years, and it is showing no signs of slowing down. You know ‘em, you love ‘em, and you certainly can’t go wrong with ‘em.

“Original,” sophomore Dylan Mahoney said. “It’s simple. Elegant. Classic.”

1. Mega Stuf Oreos

When you first look at these in the cookie aisle, you have one of two thoughts: you either think “These are my new favorite Oreos already!” or  “Nabisco is trying to give us diabetes.” Thankfully for Nabisco, we are Americans, so the more sugar the better. If an adult were to taste test these, they would most certainly be lower on this list, but sometimes you have a craving for sugar that only these Oreos can satisfy.

“I would choose the Mega Stuf Oreos because you get more per cookie,” freshman Matthew Pruyn said. “It’s not being fat, it’s surviving.”

1. Double Stuf

One might expect that an Oreo that simply has twice the creme wouldn’t be one of the most loved Oreos around, but that assumption would be wrong. The Double Stuf Oreo cuts the work out of taking apart the Oreo to simply add another layer of creme, thus giving students what they want. The Oreo finds the perfect ratio of cookie to creme, and thus strikes the number two spot on the list.

“I believe that the Double Stuf Oreo is America’s intended cookie,” freshman Aidan King said. “No longer are we on chocolate chips in grandma’s batter, we have evolved. The single-stuff Oreo offered many new ideas to the cookie industry and revolutionized the idea of a cookie having a filling. The problem was [that] many thought the amount of sweet creme located between the two chocolate layers of heaven was not enough. To solve this great problem, Oreo made the double stuff, the perfect balance of cookie and creme. Living with this as my only choice of Oreo would be perfect because it keeps the Oreo classic, yet balanced. It’s a simple science – if the original Oreo is 2 cookie sides and one creme slab, then the Double Stuf equals it out with the 2 cookie layers and double the creme (2•1=2). So, for the sake of keeping the classic cookie and creme heritage of Oreo alive in my life without getting bored of the overpowering chocolate of the original Oreo, I would have to choose the Double Stuf Oreo.”

1. Mint Oreos

These mint Oreos were unquestionably the supreme flavor of Oreos. The mint filling and chocolate cookie go together like bread and butter. These give many people the nostalgia that they experienced when eating the Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. In short, if you are going to buy a type of Oreo, buy these ones.

“If I had to live off any on Oreo flavor for the rest of my life, I would eat the mint ones,” sophomore Sophia Fisher said. “Now, it’s not because I LOVE this flavor (but I do of course), but rather I would do it just to spite my uncle. He has a strange vendetta against anything chocolate and mint. I love him, but sometimes you just gotta make fun of family.”