Is this York? – Keep Nash or Pass in the South!

Many school events often go under the radar, with many students not even aware they are happening. One of those events happened this past weekend when the York Concert Choir and Choraliers took a field trip to Nashville, Tennessee. Students were shocked to find that there was an absence of singing in all of their classes on Friday due to the choir departing Thursday afternoon at four. It was almost as if they vanished without a trace; nobody noticed suitcases being dragged through the halls and Snapchat updates along the lines of: “See you later Elmhurst!” and “Nashville here we come!”

Photo courtesy of Wilke Macariola
Juniors Wilke Macariola, Ellie Ryan, and Bridey Costello pose in front of a pond for a pic in Centennial Park.

The students of York were delighted to find an array of updates along the way and loved being constantly bombarded by snap stories telling them how many hours were left on the choir kids’ eight hour bus ride. It really made everyone who wasn’t on the trip like they were right there with them. The York Snapchat audience especially appreciated watching the same videos of seniors screaming on both the “loud bus” and the “quiet bus” during every story they clicked on.

Photo courtesy of Danielle Fite
Choir posing in front of the record wall in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Upon the arrival in Nashville, the phrase “Nash or Pass” was discovered. Truly, a clever play on words inspired by the phase “smash or pass”, but ingeniously modified to fit the location of Nashville (or “Nash”). Other popular phrases used on this three day trip were: “Country boy, I love you *laewghhe*”, which was inspired by a popular vine, and saying “Y’all” instead of “You all” and “Yee Haw” because being in the South for three days is enough time to change one’s dialect. There was also another phrase inspired by the “Everybody always asks who’s a good boy, but nobody ever asks how’s a good boy?” meme, which was, “Everybody always says Yee Haw but nobody ever asks Haw Yee?” All of these phrases were said frequently in Nashville and received much praise whenever one was used for an Instagram caption.

Photo by Isabelle Dyer
A group of Concert Choir senior girls in front of the Parthenon.

Speaking of Instagram, the York public who did not take the trip loved the flood of posts that bombarded their feeds, providing a nice change of pace from the many St. Patrick’s Day posts. Without social media, nobody would have even known that it was St. Patrick’s Day or that choir was in Nashville! Thank God for Instagram and Snapchat!

Photo courtesy of Emma Rogers
Choraliers smile in front of the Parthenon.

One student even went as far as making an online petition on change.org to leave choir in Nashville. Choir immediately signed it because, yes, they do want to go back to Nashville! There was also several people who were shocked to discover choir was in Nashville and posted on their “finstas” to let everyone know where choir went that weekend. Make sure you sign the petition to send choir back to Nashville and to keep the beloved phrase “Nash or Pass” in the South forever.