First high school edition of Dogfight to premiere

York Drama will be presenting the musical Dogfight on Feb. 5-7 at 7:30 p.m. and Feb. 8 at 2 p.m.

York will be the first high school to do this musical, and the cast is thrilled for audiences to see this musical come to life on the York stage. On Oct. 30, the Tony-nominated composers Pasek and Paul joined the cast for a masterclass and rehearsal, where the cast got the opportunity to hear the advice and get the assistance of the composers of Dogfight. 

The show is set in 1967, with flashbacks to 1963, following a group of Marines the night before they leave for Vietnam. The boys sponsor a “Dogfight,” in which each boy pools money and competes to bring the ugliest girl they can to a party. The show follows one Marine, Eddie Birdlace, and a girl he meets that night, Rose Fenny. A story of love, cruelty and acceptance, Dogfight is a truly special show to come to York.

I recently talked with a cast member of the show, who is thrilled to discuss it.

What’s your name/grade/role in Dogfight? Morgan Taylor, sophomore. I play Suzette.

What is the musical Dogfight about? What is your biggest takeaway from the show? The show is about Marines on leave, and we find them treating a group of girls terribly. The overlying message is to appreciate what you have before it’s over.

How do you relate to our character? My character is one of the girls being brought to the Dogfight. I relate to her in the sense that when attention is given to me, I give it back but when it’s taken away I focus on other people.

What’s been your favorite part of the process? Pasek and Paul coming to work with us. It was a great learning experience.

Why should York students see this show? Everyone can relate to the emotions felt in this show; the characters are about the same age as we are.

Anything else to add? Come see the show!