DECA: Students in the World of Business

This years DECA club stands ready to face the challenges that come ahead. Photo by Megan Schlief

This years DECA club has many eager members, ready to learn the ins and outs of business. There are returning members from last year, including co-presidents, Jason Kentra and Matt Anderson. There are also up to as many as 20 new members.  

DECA provides many opportunities for students and sends members all over the United States for once in a lifetime experiences. DECA was able to send a select group of students to nationals in Anaheim, California last year. This was no easy feat; to be able to get to nationals, they had to make it into the top 10 in sectionals and the top 4 in state.

“The nationals competition is set up in role playing scenarios. You are given a situation on your topic and then given 30 minutes to go over and create a plan, 10 minutes to present your plan, and 5 minutes to answer questions about it.” said David Lyons, a business teacher at York.

So far they have begun preparing the new members for sectionals on Jan. 24 2018. They are preparing students in sections including, financial services, unit professional selling, travel and tourism, entrepreneurship, and buying and merchandising.

“I decided to join DECA because my friend asked if I would join and be his partner,” said freshman Brandon Walker, a new member of DECA. “After looking into it, I was very interested in learning more about the different competitions, not to mention it looks very good on college applications. I’m excited for the rest of the year and seeing how far we go.”

The DECA club will be going to the Bulls vs. Raptors game on Feb. 24 2018. They will being talking to and learning from the Bulls business operations panel, John Paxson, and sky box sellers.

“My hopes are that we are able to make it to nationals this year. I think we are very capable of doing as well as last year,” said Lyons.